When will I see results?

Options
Hi,

I have been eating a normal diet, but reducing my calorie intake significantly and exercising by walking 5mph on the treadmill for at least 40 mins per day, in the morning, sometimes up to an hour. If I eat over my calorie intake I exercise more to compensate. I started to follow my plan of 1200 calories per day but after two weeks saw no result. I've now reduced it to 1000 in a hope to ensure weight loss - but still no weight loss. Am I just building muscle? How long will it take to see weight loss? I try to eat fat free foods, but I do eat a lot of pasta - with a tomato based sauce. I eat fresh fruit for breakfast, and usually chicken and veg for tea, or home made bolognaise etc.

Help!

Jules

Replies

• JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Jules,

The problem you're having is all the pasta you're eating. When you take in high glycemic index (GI) foods, this causes and insulin spike in your body that tells your body to stop burning fat and muscle and start burning the ready-to-burn energy (pasta's carbs) for energy instead. You'll have to give that up if you want to see results.

I don't recommend going below 1200 calories per day. To see results, you'll need to make sure you're getting the majority of your carbs from vegetables, not breads, rice, or grains. I know the USDA has the food pyramid that says you need a metric ton of breads, rices, and grains, but when has the USDA been right about anything?

I encourage you to look into the glycemic index, insulin response, and intermittent fasting for further research.

Cheers,

Jeff
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're set to lose one pound a week. You don't have enough to lose to aim for 1.5 or 2 pounds a week. Aim to surpass your protein goal, reach your fat goal, and stay under your carb goal, if you're using MFP's default settings. Eat most of your exercise calories, if you're confident that they're fairly accurate (which may take some trial and error). Make sure you include some form of strength training. Track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit, and progress photos, not just the scale.

I eat pasta, bread, pizza, rice and potatoes regularly and it never hurt my progress.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Don't eat below 1200 calories. Don't NET below 1200 calories. If you're exercising, eat those calories back. You're not doing your body any favors by not fueling it.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Jules,

The problem you're having is all the pasta you're eating. When you take in high glycemic index (GI) foods, this causes and insulin spike in your body that tells your body to stop burning fat and muscle and start burning the ready-to-burn energy (pasta's carbs) for energy instead. You'll have to give that up if you want to see results.

I don't recommend going below 1200 calories per day. To see results, you'll need to make sure you're getting the majority of your carbs from vegetables, not breads, rice, or grains. I know the USDA has the food pyramid that says you need a metric ton of breads, rices, and grains, but when has the USDA been right about anything?

I encourage you to look into the glycemic index, insulin response, and intermittent fasting for further research.

Cheers,

Jeff

NO :angry:

Carbs dont stop you from losing weight. Excess calories do.

More details are needed.

Weight , height, goal, body fat if known,

Thanks
  • Jules190179
    Jules190179 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Surely as long as I stay within my 'My Fitness Pal' limits, it doesn't matter if I eat lots of pasta? my target is 215 carbs and I will have had 179 by the end of the day.

Weight is 154 lb and target 120 so a long way to go! Height is 5ft 2inchs. Not sure on body fat but my BMI is far too high at 27. I have reset my goals so that my intake is 1200 cals per day. I have always eaten more when exercised. E.g. if I eat 1500 cals I'll burn off 300 cals etc, only I did reduce it to 1000 and so burned off 500. I'm now going back up to 1200 and will continue to stay within the limits. During exercise though, how long does it take to burn off fat rather than the carbs?

Thanks for your comments etc, hope the stats and info help with further advice...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're set to lose one pound a week. You don't have enough to lose to aim for 1.5 or 2 pounds a week. Aim to surpass your protein goal, reach your fat goal, and stay under your carb goal, if you're using MFP's default settings. Eat most of your exercise calories, if you're confident that they're fairly accurate (which may take some trial and error). Make sure you include some form of strength training. Track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit, and progress photos, not just the scale.

I eat pasta, bread, pizza, rice and potatoes regularly and it never hurt my progress.

All of this.

Also use a food scale for logging to ensure accuracy. And be patient.
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    It absolutely does matter if you eat all that starch. Just because MY Fit Pal recommends it doesnt mean it is right for your specific metabolism. We need to stop treating the body like a simple math equation (calories in, calories out) and start realizing the complex biochemistry that is the metabolism. Clearly what you are doing is not working,
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    It absolutely does matter if you eat all that starch. Just because MY Fit Pal recommends it doesnt mean it is right for your specific metabolism. We need to stop treating the body like a simple math equation (calories in, calories out) and start realizing the complex biochemistry that is the metabolism. Clearly what you are doing is not working,

Unless she has a medical condition it doesn't matter. She is governed by the same laws of thermodynamics as everyone else. She does not have to give up pasta to lose weight. She's been at this for TWO WEEKS and you're suggesting she give up food she loves. That's sounds healthy and sustainable :noway:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Hi op

Your stats are very much like mine :flowerforyou:

I 'think' from your post that your are not eating enough, you need to NET 1200 minimum a day. MPF already has a deficit built in so you need to eat back your exercise calories. I may have miss read on that though.

You also need to give your body time to adapt to a new routine.

Personally I would eat 1500cals NET a day for a month then see how you are doing, take measurements and photos as well. The scale can be a big fat liar. After at leat 4 weeks see how you are doing and looking and re assess. You should be aiming for 1lb a week loss with only 30lbs to lose.

And while carbs and pasta aren't the devil :wink: the MPF suggestions on protein can be quite low, I'd up your protein to 25% fat to 30% and carbs to 45%.

You also might want to add some strength training in to help preserve your lbm so when you hit your goal you've maintained your muscle mass helping to avoid the dreaded skinny fat :laugh: this can be through lifting weights or even body weight exercises.

I hope this helps and makes sense :drinker:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Oh and ditch the fat free food, fat=\=body fat. You need good fats for healthy skin and hair etc
  • Jules190179
    Options
    There are so many dos and don'ts and it gets really difficult when you don't know what is actually right for you. This really helps though, thank you. :smile:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hi op

I 'think' from your post that your are not eating enough, you need to NET 1200 minimum a day. MPF already has a deficit built in so you need to eat back your exercise calories. I may have miss read on that though.

Personally I would eat 1500cals NET a day for a month then see how you are doing, take measurements and photos as well. The scale can be a big fat liar. After at leat 4 weeks see how you are doing and looking and re assess. You should be aiming for 1lb a week loss with only 30lbs to lose.

And while carbs and pasta aren't the devil :wink: the MPF suggestions on protein can be quite low, I'd up your protein to 25% fat to 30% and carbs to 45%.

You also might want to add some strength training in to help preserve your lbm so when you hit your goal you've maintained your muscle mass helping to avoid the dreaded skinny fat :laugh: this can be through lifting weights or even body weight exercises.

This. All of this.

After one week, you have not put on muscle. No more than a couple of grams. And eating that few Calories? No - you're likely to lose muscle. As mentioned, unless you have a specific medical condition, you don't have to give up pasta or any other carb. The only thing with carbs is that they, in addition to giving you energy, help keep water weight. And, after one week of exercising, you probably have additional water weight, as your muscles look to hold onto the water to repair themselves.
  • jgetzler
    jgetzler Posts: 23
    Options
    I agree, too much pasta is not good for you, I wouldnt cut it out completely but have it maybe 1x a week. I have to eat low carb to lose weight. I do eat some carbs but it's Whole grain. Also having a piece of fruit is okay but for breakfast I would eat some protein and a small carb. Fruit is good for you but it also has a lot of sugar so you have to be careful. It's all a balancing act and seeing what works for you.
  • busy91
    busy91 Posts: 15
    Options
    Jules,

Cheers,

Jeff

More details are needed.

Thanks

Not necessarily true. If you are insulin resistant then carbs (Pasta, bread) can cause you to NOT lose weight.

If we knew your age, that would help. I'm in my 40s and when I tell you I cannot lose weight for anything, I'm not lying. I eat between 1,500 and 1,600 calories a day on a regular basis (If I eat less I will not be able to function) and burn between 2,500 - 3,500 calories in a day, depending on my workout. The weight doesn't drop like it did when I was in my 20s or 30s.

I'm also allergic to gluten, so I do not eat a lot of carbs...AND...I'm insulin resistant. And I have the hormone thing to deal with.

But be patient, the weight will eventually come off. You may need to tweak your diet or workouts.
  • Jules190179
    Options
    I'm 34, and I know it is much more difficult to lose it after 25! I guess I am just starting and so need to be more patient. I just feel so awful at the weight gain and how it has crept up on me. I've been reading up on metabolic enhancing foods and the 'right fats', so might try to make a few changes there.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi op

This person is awesome, listen to them!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Jules,

Cheers,

Jeff

More details are needed.

Thanks

Actually, I agree with both what Jeffers said and with this objection. YES, calories in vs. calories out is the most important metric. HOWEVER, I have found that when I focus on eating carbs with a low glycemic index rating....carbs that do not cause an insulin spike...I do A LOT better (even when I'm eating the same number of calories). Yes, most veggies have a low GI rating...but so do several fruits. I eat some type of berries most days. I eat a juicy apple most days. I eat grapefruit. And, yes, I eat veggies. Another issue with higher GI foods is that they are digested faster, causing you to get hungry sooner. Eat lower GI foods, particularly those with fiber....and you stay satiated longer. if you want pasta or bread, get whole grain (not whole wheat).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Jules,

Cheers,

Jeff

More details are needed.

Thanks

Not necessarily true. If you are insulin resistant then carbs (Pasta, bread) can cause you to NOT lose weight.

If we knew your age, that would help. I'm in my 40s and when I tell you I cannot lose weight for anything, I'm not lying. I eat between 1,500 and 1,600 calories a day on a regular basis (If I eat less I will not be able to function) and burn between 2,500 - 3,500 calories in a day, depending on my workout. The weight doesn't drop like it did when I was in my 20s or 30s.

I'm also allergic to gluten, so I do not eat a lot of carbs...AND...I'm insulin resistant. And I have the hormone thing to deal with.

But be patient, the weight will eventually come off. You may need to tweak your diet or workouts.

There's an understood "barring medical conditions" caveat to that, although medical conditions don't exclude one from calories in/calories out they just change the calories out side of the equation.

But assuming the OP is healthy (and she needs to give it more than 2 weeks before she decides there's something wrong) there's no reason for her to give up pasta.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'm 34, and I know it is much more difficult to lose it after 25! I guess I am just starting and so need to be more patient. I just feel so awful at the weight gain and how it has crept up on me. I've been reading up on metabolic enhancing foods and the 'right fats', so might try to make a few changes there.

Don't be discouraged. I started losing my weight at 27 and I didn't find it difficult at all once I figured out how to log accurately, and I have several ladies who are in their 40s and doing great on my friend list.

Be sure when you are researching that you're reading reputable sources. They should link to actual studies. If they say "studies show" but don't give an actual study (preferably more than one) then take whatever they're saying with a grain of salt. It's good to research but there's plenty of junk science to go around online.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Just no.

By reducing calories too much, you will actually burn away muscle and then you will still not be happy with how you look when you reach your goal weight because you will still have a high body fat %.

Your age doesn't have that much to do with it. I am 50 and I'm successfully losing weight on much more calories than that.