Any gardeners?

Options
lacyphacelia
lacyphacelia Posts: 58 Member
edited September 2017 in Chit-Chat
I've been gardening for a few years. To date, I've harvested over 20 lbs of tomato-- yeah, not much but the season is a little later in the north Midwest. I'm trying to figure out what else to do with them other than making tons of tomato sauce. Don't get me started on the cukes.

How about you?

Replies

• nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    must. fight. the. urge!
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    okay! I can't take it!

I've trimmed a bush or two in my day! :p
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    You can use tomatoes to make homemade enchilada sauce and freeze. Also works,as,a great chili starter. I have also used abundance of cukes to make bread. I took a shot in the dark, followed a zucchini bread recipe subbing peeled grated cukes. It was awesome and I get requests for it now.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started on the cukes.

ut oh...
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    nolan44219 wrote: »
    okay! I can't take it!

I've trimmed a bush or two in my day! :p

I was going to use that joke, but thought it was too corny.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Roast some peppers and mix in onions and other ingrdients to make fresh salsa. Ketchup
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I reckon that I would buy a military grade juicer and get to juicin'
  • kgomez05
    kgomez05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tomato basil soup is awesome!
    Also, if you chop the tomatoes, you can freeze them in muffin pans with a little bit of water. Once they are frozen put them in a freezer bag and then add them to canned sauces or chili through the winter. Super easy, makes the canned stuff taste fresher and you don't have to decide what to do with all those tomatoes right now.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Judt flowers since the passing of my grandmother.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I planted mine really late last season, so had a lot of green tomatoes. I found a green tomato relish recipe, literally made a bucket of it (jars were used up with pickled cucumbers). We froze a bunch of ripe ones too whole (cherry tomatoes), clean them and put straight into freezer bags, use them whole in stir frys, quiches, pies...
    This year I might attempt sundried tomatoes.