Progressively getting worse at running?

Options
I'm a beginner runner and I've been running for about 2 months now. At first I could only run for about 12 minuets at a 11 mph pace. I built that up to now running at a 9mph and running for about 27 minuets straight. Two weeks ago, I ran a 5k in 28 minuets, but ever since then, every time I run, which is about every other day, seems to get harder and harder. Why?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Minutes, not minuets. Try taking an extra 1-2 days off and see if it improves. Do you have anemia?
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    i gave up running.. but i did run for 3 summers.. are you sore from running? it could slow you down. Maybe do 2 runs a week and do something else on the 3rd day.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to push the pace, run easy. Your easy pace should be much slower than race pace. It's better to run farther, more slowly, than to run hard every time.

The current slowdown may be weather related. At least where I live, we had several cool weeks in August and early September, but now we're back to full summer heat and humidity. The running is much harder. It will get better when it cools down again.
  • daRobo
    daRobo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. It seems to me you are just competing every run without proper training. You need also regen runs, slow runs, long runs, not only pace, 5K, 10K runs. Also dont underestimate power of stretch, yoga, swim, quality regen, enough sleep etc. My example, i started more serious running in end of May, followed plan from garmin (used training plans with my watch). Before that I was just trying to run without a plan. Since I started with plan, this is my progress so far:

Lactate Threshold (LT): 156bpm (May), 159bpm (Sept)
    LT Pace: 7:54min/km (May), 6:20min/km (Sept) (this and VO2max is most important data on my fitness progress I believe. Numbers will be even better I believe, it is not from guided test, but only automatic estimation from my interval runs. I just need to wait for my threshold training in few weeks to substitute it with guided lactate threshold test, then I will get more relevant data)
    Average Speed: 5:86km/h (May), 7:68km/h (Sept) (this is for all runs incl. slow runs etc.)
    VO2max: 29 ml/kg/min (May), 38 ml/kg/min (Sept)
    Weight: 113.1kg (May), 99.0kg (Sept)

My training plan looks every week as follows: 2x (every third week 3x) interval/fartlek, 2x slow easy/regen run, 1x long slow run. Intervals are up to 30 mins of various intensity (increasing from 3min Z4/3min Z2 3reps to 8mins Z4/2min Z2 3reps etc.), 2x strength training (same days as slow/regen runs) and in rest days i usually go and swim 1km/30mins. Then jacuzzi and sauna :smile: Don't forget to warm up before every run (10 mins easy pace in Z2 works fine for me), cool down after (again, easy pace run or fast walk for 5-10 mins) and then stretch. It is important.

What I learned about running so far is: Long easy pace runs (1h+ Z2) are teaching your body utilize fats as fuel for runs and gives you endurance, Interval/fartlek gives your run dynamics and speed, regen/easy runs helps you to recover your muscles actively, strength and cross training (like weighted squats, box jumps etc) gives you acceleration during race.

Consider finding some training plans and follow it, I believe it will help you get better fast :wink: Good luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Run slower, run for the enjoyment of it, not for time!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you are most likely running too fast. You will gain speed and endurance by running slower for longer distances. I suggest finding a marathon training regimen that includes speed runs/easy runs/hills etc these programs are built to increase both your speed and distance over a period of time and are easy to follow so you will have a guide on how to improve.

Your day to day runs show be slow enough that you could hold a conversation with someone while doing it, if you can't or are gasping for breath you are going to fast and that's why you aren't improving or you are feeling it's getting harder.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I'm trying out this "run farther slower" thing. I like the slower part, but running for a whole hour is pretty hard, maybe harder than running faster for less time. I'm going to stick with it and see what happens.

I'm trying to follow the advice from Matt Fitzgerald's "80/20 Running," which, in a nutshell, recommends running 80% of your workouts at an easy pace and 20% as intervals. I don't yet know how to apply this to cross training (swim-ride-run), but it is very intriguing.
  • Runner1393
    Runner1393 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I’m a runner; I run 4-6 miles 4-6 times a week!
    I should say jog. If I tried to sprint that far I would die. I know my pace and I stick to it.
    If I don’t eat enough, or if I’m dehydrated, I literally have a hard time running 1 Mile. Making sure your body is adequate on nutrients is detrimental to long distance running.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You're running pretty fast for having only started 2 months ago. Well done. Running every second day at that pace may be tiring you out too much to sustain the training.

Maybe try limiting your runs to three times a week. Slow down the pace for 2 of these runs every week and run a bit further than your normal. Your breathing should be easy and you should be able to carry on a conversation as you run.
    Use the third run to run faster and shorter.
    The slow, longer runs will build up your stamina and, eventually, help with your overall speed on your fast, short runs.

Make sure your shoes are good ones and fit for your feet.

Running is fun. Remember to enjoy your time on your feet.