This Is Your Brain on Nature

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much what I call an "indoor kitty"- I am one of those people who attract bugs- and I get bit- A LOT. So it makes being outside in this humid climate hard for me.
    But I grew up on a ranch- doing ranch work- and there was nothing better than going for a long ride. It was so refreshing- I now ride a motorcycle- and infrequently at that- which is frustrating that I don't get out more- but yes- there is ABSOLUTELY something to be said for "re freshing" outside.

Love the pictures!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    More. I think the best camera out there is the one you actually have available and use, so while these phone pics aren't the greatest, they helped catch a few nature nuggets to remember while I was out and about.

This morning, on my way to work, there was a fog lifting (unusual to even HAVE fog in AZ) on a local lake. I had to pull over and stop to take pics, here's my favorite. The huge cottonwoods on the back shoreline were just starting to turn gold, the phone really didn't catch how beautiful it was:

2yqewjea0jsd.jpg

On a trip to the desert grasslands southeast of Tucson a couple weekends ago, the lighting was sublime. One of my most favorite areas, period:

46ggcdxhmuud.jpg

And, if I can't get out to nature, we have our backyard pond (imagine that silt settled and the water clear, hub had just hosed down the rocks he laid that day...). After work, I sit on the bench with a glass of wine, and decompress!

g7hc8lm59bky.jpg

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous, @CarlydogsMom
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Gorgeous, @CarlydogsMom

Thank you, @Orphia !
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    fhepxg0upf1n.jpg
    5pkmz62f7hd4.jpg
    4k90zdmrohi4.jpg
    bqqih496w1gd.jpg
    I went back to my "roots" this past summer, doing a lot of biking and kayaking...... and lost 50 lbs!
    I've a ways to go.... about another 70lbs or so but I SWEAR it was my getting back to those "roots" of enjoying the great outdoors that helped keep me on track not just physically but mentally too!
    Can't wait to dig out the snow shoes!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    From this morning's walk:

I hope you enjoy these even slightly as much as I enjoyed my walk.

These are fantastic! Third one is my favorite. Looks like you know the secret: Ansel Adams didn't take pictures of landscapes, he took pictures of weather. You got the light and the fog and the mood just right.
  • l_lake
    l_lake Posts: 107 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cenafan wrote: »
    I live in southern Ontario and our nature is stunning. The Bruce Trail is amazing for hiking. We are planning a big hike in Algonquin in October. The fresh air is so calming.

Whereabouts on the Bruce Trail do you go? I haven't checked out a lot of the southern part, but I've spent a lot of time trekking around the Peninsula section. This is from a few weeks ago on the Bruce Trail around Lion's Head:

sri0n298tr1h.jpg
    zy8jichzgd5m.jpg

• Orphia
    Options

These are fantastic! Third one is my favorite. Looks like you know the secret: Ansel Adams didn't take pictures of landscapes, he took pictures of weather. You got the light and the fog and the mood just right.

@NorthCascades I'm out of action with a bad back at the moment, and that comment, plus it coming from you, has really lifted my spirits. Thank you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a rare nice spring day, so I walked to the botanical gardens

You can click the photos to see more. :)

36801649193_829d211e69_c.jpg

37213681010_121a47cebb_c.jpg

23619345468_26b4dc826a_c.jpg

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    Options

@NorthCascades I'm out of action with a bad back at the moment, and that comment, plus it coming from you, has really lifted my spirits. Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your back!! I hope you're on the mend.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I am so blessed to live in the woods. We have a little over 100 acres only 5-6 of which are cleared. The rest is wild.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you get a fat and complete recovery. :smile:
  • Orphia
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you get a fat and complete recovery. :smile:

:smiley: A fat recovery? Pretty sure that was a typo, but it made me laugh, so thanks again!

Thanks @Machka9 too.

My back is only up to about 20 minute walks at the moment, and I've got a charity half marathon scheduled for October 15. I'm trying not to stress out because that just makes my muscles even more tense.

This thread, and the lovely photos is keeping me in the Zen zone.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of wheels through a shop in a small mountain town 200 miles from Seattle, there's a long story surrounding this, but the short version is I "had" to go pick them up this weekend. While the shop was setting them up for me, I rented a pair of full squish MTBs and took Beth riding at Harts Pass. I've been slowly working on turning her into a cyclist; she said she's never been on a bike like this before and loved it, and also the scenery and solitude.

When you think of a burn scar, you think of death and destruction. But when you stand in one, the place is teeming with life. The ground is covered with blueberry bushes and wildflowers, mostly things that wouldn't exist in a mature forest because enough light doesn't reach the ground. This new growth provides food and habitat for all kinds of creatures. These are special, wonderful places.

37253480436_479e7ce58d_o_d.jpg

37253480246_5a2ce1899e_o_d.jpg

37253480386_2436889817_o_d.jpg

I missed your beautiful pics
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    KATY Trail, central Missouri - Totally alone on this particular stretch of the trail. The Missouri river is on one side of the trail and 110 feet tall limestone bluffs are right behind me.

bs3avncd7uvu.jpg
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    1obrut7roeva.jpeg
    5ly6uz2g50tbs.jpeg

g0a3prjldl8z.jpeg
    021879/uploads/editor/qo/hx928g0dyzrw.jpeg
    My favorite trail. Dog and snek tax included.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    l_lake wrote: »
    cenafan wrote: »
    I live in southern Ontario and our nature is stunning. The Bruce Trail is amazing for hiking. We are planning a big hike in Algonquin in October. The fresh air is so calming.

Whereabouts on the Bruce Trail do you go? I haven't checked out a lot of the southern part, but I've spent a lot of time trekking around the Peninsula section. This is from a few weeks ago on the Bruce Trail around Lion's Head:

I'm near Hamilton so I go on the red hill trail and splinter off from there. We so go up to rattlesnake point or mount nemo. We also go up to Algonquin quite often. We are going to Forks Of the Credit provincial park tomorrow, can't wait to see all the fall colours. Mizzy Lake Trail at Algonquin on the 22nd. I've always wanted yo get up to lions head. Looks stunning!

• Orphia
    Options
    Yesterday morning on my walk.

si8E7mG.jpg
  • Orphia
    Options
    Did a 35 km walk/run event on Sunday, and I took this photo during it.

qCHrNNr.jpg