night eating

Options
2»

Replies

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I read we need to eat smaller meals more often, it helps metabolism and you won't get really hungry at night. I know how you feel, I get hungry at night about an hour after dinner and that's my worst time. Try finding things to keep occupied with. It's often night time when we stop and sit down and eat in front of the tv. When I worked long hours in front of the computer at night, I never snacked. Was too focused on tasks to eat. Lost 20 lbs in a few months. Find a hobby that distracts you and you really enjoy. It's a tough habit to break, I know it too well. Hang in there!
    I agree, because more often than not, it's boredom or appetite rather than hunger.

• Toni1071
    Toni1071 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love this thread because I have struggled with nighttime snacking. I am still working on it but I have improved a lot. What works for me is I moved dinner out a little later than normal so I would still be full later in the evening. Sometimes this works and I don't want to snack. Other times, it doesn't help and the urge is there. (because let's be honest, it's rarely about being hungry) In those cases, I have a measured snack, I log it and then I tell myself that the kitchen is closed. Most of the time that works for me.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with eating at night. so I don't buy chips anymore, but I caught myself staring at all the stuff in the house that I could eat (leftover lasagna, brownies, sweedish fish, snickers bites, chocolate and granola, bagels, grilled chicken, corn dogs, chicken tenders)... I even thought about making a 2nd salad, just because. maybe I'm just one of those people who needs to chomp chomp chomp all day, does anyone else struggle like that? I've always been a night eater my whole life, and have friends that mock my "4th meal"...
    opening the fridge over and over again thinking new things will appear is crazy, but I do it.....
    suggestions to take mind off of food?

Honestly, I do most of my eating at night. I have a protein bar for breakfast, typically have coffee around noon which keeps me full until 4 or 5, have a small meal and then at 9PM or so I snack while in bed. There's nothing bad or wrong about it...as long as you aren't overindulging and going over your macros for the day. Make sure you still make nutritious food choices at this time as well. If you know you're going to eat at night, why don't you try pre-logging? Works for me.
  • mistydawn82
    mistydawn82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That was a big issue for myself as well, and I still struggle with it time to time. A combination of things have helped me out. One thing is I just avoid going into the kitchen as much as possible. Hungry or not, if I walk through the kitchen I feel compelled to look in the fridge or cabinets. Another thing is I always feel guilty after a late snack/meal, that guilt helps me avoid eating because I don't want to feel bad. I weigh myself almost every morning too, so I'll think about that, is this snack worth a possible gain on the scale in the morning? Usually one of those three things will keep me outta the snack box. If not though, I try to just grab a banana or orange, or a small spoon of peanut butter, then I book it on outta the kitchen before I can gorge myself. Good luck though, it's hard breaking old habits and creating new ones for yourself.
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat dinner around 8:30 PM...I'm usually in bed by 9:30 or 10:00

that's crazy talk. If I sleep at 10, I'm up at midnight-2am. scientific fact. it's unfortunate