Excuse my ignorance but...

Options
If my heart rate is elevated to around 60-90% of my max heart rate while I'm lifting weights (normally supersets) doesn't this classify as cardio too? I stick 10 min of high incline walking or stepped on the end of my weight workouts just to get some cardio in but am wondering if I'm not already doing thatwitg the weights.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can here hence the volume of questions I've been asking. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    What kind of weight lifting gets you at 90% MHR?

Unless you're doing Crossfit/circuits or are incredibly unfit I don't see how that's possible.
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lunges with weights, squats with weights, walking lunges, double Kettlebell cleans, weighted bench step ups. I superset all my workouts and am seriously struggling to breathe throughout. I wear a heart rate monitor which informs me of my heart rate. I'm not unfit even by a stretch. Would this qualify as cardio too?
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sounds like cardio to me.

I would add another 100-200 calories to my exercise calories burned in MFP.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Lunges with weights, squats with weights, walking lunges, double Kettlebell cleans, weighted bench step ups. I superset all my workouts and am seriously struggling to breathe throughout. I wear a heart rate monitor which informs me of my heart rate. I'm not unfit even by a stretch. Would this qualify as cardio too?

It sounds like you're doing a cardio/circuit rather than focussing on progressive overload and stimulating hypertrophy.

I would call it cardio personally.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would agree that it sounds like circuit training with weights. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it could be less optimal depending on your goals and what you want to get out of it
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Oh man. My aim is to lose fat and retain muscle to help my metabolism adjust. Not to do more cardio. I actually thought I was really limiting cardio by doing what I'm doing. Not that it was cardio and not strength training! I'm lifting as heavy as I can during this workout
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Not to say you won't retain muscle doing what you are doing but actual lifting will be more favourable. I would recommend you check out this link for a list of lifting programs

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1