Best free app with HRM for tracking cardio IN the gym?

Options
I use Strava exclusively for actual running and riding outdoors, but it doesn't give me live heart rate data or have an option for running on a treadmill/exercise bike in the gym.

I'd like a free app which I can select treadmill, bike or rowing, have it show me my heart rate and calories burnt during the workout and sync with mfp automatically. Any suggestions as to which ones I should try? The choice of mfp compatible apps is huge it'd take me ages to try them all out!

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I use the Wahoo Fitness free app. Not sure if you have to have their HRM. Works well.
  • brownbred8
    brownbred8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've already got the Wahoo fitness app and have only just realised it will sync with MFP after all!

It would seem my prayers are answered were it not for the fact it seemingly syncs everything as a walk rather than a run/ride. The calories are correct so it's not a deal breaker I suppose but does anyone know how to correct it?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    brownbred8 wrote: »
    The calories are correct so it's not a deal breaker I suppose but does anyone know how to correct it?

Nope. It also always says you are going at a slow pace! You can do manual entries.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    brownbred8 wrote: »
    I use Strava exclusively for actual running and riding outdoors, but it doesn't give me live heart rate data or have an option for running on a treadmill/exercise bike in the gym.

I'd like a free app which I can select treadmill, bike or rowing, have it show me my heart rate and calories burnt during the workout and sync with mfp automatically. Any suggestions as to which ones I should try? The choice of mfp compatible apps is huge it'd take me ages to try them all out!

I use Endomondo. Used it for years, just like any other app it can overestimate calories, so compare your readings to other calculators out there and adjust accordingly but it's pretty accurate for me. Within 15% anyway. I've tried other apps and none have been more accurate.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I use iCardio - the app itself is free, but I did have to pay a small fee to get it to work with my HRM... but I don't pay for the subscription features.

Overall I really like the app - the only complaint is that the sync'd entries will come across as "Aerobics, general" sometimes.