Pants falling down while exercising?

Options
Ok, so I understand this is a good problem to have. It means I have progressed a LOT. The trouble is, my sweatpants that have fit me perfectly for years, fall down with every step, so I can't run because I'm afraid they will be around my ankles in front of everyone! Also my dress clothes swallow me up. I won't be able to wear them much longer, and I certainly can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe. I also don't want to buy a new wardrobe only to have the same problem again in a couple of months. Anyone have any suggestions? Did you have a similar issue? Don't get me wrong, I am pretty pumped I'm having this "problem." I like hearing other people's stories!

Replies

• luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A pair of suspenders :lol:

I have no suggestions short of a safety pin. Right now I'm squeezing into slightly too small capris and they ride down when I run or jump. Same problem opposite reason :lol:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Are they the kind that has a double layered band, possibly with an elastic? If so, you could poke a hole in the inside of the band and just tighten the elastic and tie a knot in it. If it's sewn in but is still double layered, you could buy a cheap elastic and thread it in. That's what I do with all of my sweatpants. Now if it's the kind that is not double layered, not much can be done that wouldn't ruin the pants. While losing weight I made sure whenever I bought sweatpants, pj's, or any pants with an elastic waist that the band was double layered. They last so much longer with this simple modification. I got rid of a pair I used to wear when I was 100 lbs fatter only recently because it started looking like a potato sack tied at the waist and l started tripping over the legs, but I got so much life out of it that I'm not too bothered by throwing it out.
  • KeepOnMovjng
    KeepOnMovjng Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue a few years back and this time round I've ended up buying cheap items like jeans for £6 in the end. but if you are any good at sewing maybe see if you can make them smaller that way
  • Fitkam90
    Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    A pair of suspenders :lol:

I have no suggestions short of a safety pin. Right now I'm squeezing into slightly too small capris and they ride down when I run or jump. Same problem opposite reason :lol:

Suspenders would definitely be fashionable haha! A safety pin just night work. Thanks!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Charity/thrift shops to buy cheap replacements.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    Are they the kind that has a double layered band, possibly with an elastic? If so, you could poke a hole in the inside of the band and just tighten the elastic and tie a knot in it. If it's sewn in but is still double layered, you could buy a cheap elastic and thread it in. That's what I do with all of my sweatpants. Now if it's the kind that is not double layered, not much can be done that wouldn't ruin the pants. While losing weight I made sure whenever I bought sweatpants, pj's, or any pants with an elastic waist that the band was double layered. They last so much longer with this simple modification. I got rid of a pair I used to wear when I was 100 lbs fatter only recently because it started looking like a potato sack tied at the waist and l started tripping over the legs, but I got so much life out of it that I'm not too bothered by throwing it out.

I never thought about adjusting the elastic. Excellent idea! I only have 1 pair of the double layer though. I'll have to buy only double layered elastic sweats now. My pants are starting to look a bit ridiculous. They're very baggy on me. It looks like I'm wearing mens sweats. Thank you for the suggestion :smiley:
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    I had the same issue a few years back and this time round I've ended up buying cheap items like jeans for £6 in the end. but if you are any good at sewing maybe see if you can make them smaller that way

I can't sew, but my mom is a sewing wizard. Why didn't I think to ask her to fix them for me? Duh! Thank you : )
  • Fitkam90
    Options

Also, congrats on your weight loss :)
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Put the sweatpants inside out, gather, and sew or.... use a staple gun. Reverse, put pants on and make sure you are wearing underwear just in case :)

Note, this is personal experience. My office stapler has been put to use numerous times due to faulty stitching....
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    Put the sweatpants inside out, gather, and sew or.... use a staple gun. Reverse, put pants on and make sure you are wearing underwear just in case :)

Note, this is personal experience. My office stapler has been put to use numerous times due to faulty stitching....

Oh wow. Would have never thought to use staples. Very good idea! Man y'all are crafty peeps
  • HOKA36
    HOKA36 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Buy pants that fit
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I bought my in between clothes from Kmart and the warehouse. They are cheap places, I.e about $10-$20 for exercise pants/tops, even got a t shirt for $5 the other day. I also bought things on the tight side. Other option is second hand, I have scored some really nice stuff second hand in the past.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    HOKA36 wrote: »
    Buy pants that fit

Wow great advice!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    I bought my in between clothes from Kmart and the warehouse. They are cheap places, I.e about $10-$20 for exercise pants/tops, even got a t shirt for $5 the other day. I also bought things on the tight side. Other option is second hand, I have scored some really nice stuff second hand in the past.

I'm sure I could find some cheap stuff if I look harder for it!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! If you are losing a lot of weight, you will continue to have this situation (can't call it a "problem") until you get to goal. Goodwill & other thrift stores are your friend. I went through quite a few wardrobes. The key for me was to buy only what fit, preferably on the snug side, and buy only what I really needed to get through a few months. I still have a little bit of an issue in maintenance/recomp because my body is still changing shape a year later.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Congrats on your loss! If you are losing a lot of weight, you will continue to have this situation (can't call it a "problem") until you get to goal. Goodwill & other thrift stores are your friend. I went through quite a few wardrobes. The key for me was to buy only what fit, preferably on the snug side, and buy only what I really needed to get through a few months. I still have a little bit of an issue in maintenance/recomp because my body is still changing shape a year later.

Thanks! I buy t-shirts from goodwill all the time. I've never searched for pants
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I second the thrift store suggestion! I shop there exclusively! Love me a bargain, plus Macklemore is in my head...
  • Fitkam90
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I second the thrift store suggestion! I shop there exclusively! Love me a bargain, plus Macklemore is in my head...

Bargains are the best! Good ol Macklemore
  • Jesuschristmysavor4life
    Options
    Oh ok I know how this works now hehe
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to waste money on the downsizing. I had some diaper pins I used for exercise pants. I purchased exercise clothes when I went from xl to medium. Second hand stores for rest. 99 cent sale days helped out a lot. You look hard enough, you'll even find name brands with original tags.