Ovarian cyst

Options
Has anybody had one of these before?

Over the last week or so I got very bloated, needing to wee more and very suddenly, the scales started to increase as well.
Fast forward to today and I look 6 months pregnant and I'm very uncomfortable.

Dr's are running a blood test (CA125) Tuesday, internal and external scans Thursday and appointment with a gyne later that day. These are just to confirm type, they are almost certain this is a cyst.

How big could this thing get before then?

I've gone from running 90 minutes to struggling to walk upstairs.

Replies

• camilledaisy
    camilledaisy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of cysts they were very painful and I remember struggling to walk as well. I don't know how big they get as I had to have surgery to remove them. It wasn't a very fun process but in the end everything worked out very well. I have a few friends that also have had cysts and did not have to have surgery, in one case they shrunk considerably and she hasn't had any issues since.
    Both of us have PCOS.
    I hope that you get some answers quickly and find the right course of action and are back to feeling yourself really quickly!
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I had one a number of years ago that ruptured and almost killed me. It was the size of a man's fist. I was in bed and woke up with a sharp debilitating pain in my shoulder of all places. I went to the ER and basically the blood internally was squishing everything which was causing my pain. I had to have surgery and spent like a week in the hospital. Not something to take lightly! Take care!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    I have had many of them ... apparently only one at a time, but one right after the other after the other after the other ...

The first one I noticed was one which ruptured. WOW was that painful! The pain was in my appendix area and they thought it might be appendix, so I was rushed into hospital ... all sorts of tests, finally determined it was a ruptured cyst, and they had to go in to clean it all out. That was when I was 17.

They put me on "the pill" and I was on the pill for much of the next 25 years. Turns out I was lucky that didn't kill me. I've been off them now for almost a decade.

But every time I went off for a few months or a year or something ... and of course, every time I have an ultrasound in the last decade ... another cyst.

My most recent one was a hemorrhagic ovarian cysts, meaning that it contains blood and is extra painful. But it went away after several months.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Fingers crossed it doesn't pop by the sound of your experiences.
  • katieroebuck6287
    Options
    I had a smallish one that they were in two minds about whether or not to remove. It was a dermoid cyst so very slow growing. I did have it taken out in the end by keyhole surgery and it was pretty straightforward. I was back home the same day. Try not to worry xx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Has anybody had one of these before?

Over the last week or so I got very bloated, needing to wee more and very suddenly, the scales started to increase as well.
    Fast forward to today and I look 6 months pregnant and I'm very uncomfortable.

Dr's are running a blood test (CA125) Tuesday, internal and external scans Thursday and appointment with a gyne later that day. These are just to confirm type, they are almost certain this is a cyst.

How big could this thing get before then?

I've gone from running 90 minutes to struggling to walk upstairs.

I don't have any experience with them but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear you're not well. Hope you get better soon xx
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Thanks @TavistockToad xx

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    I went for the expected CA125 blood test this morning.

When I got there the nurse said it would take a while as she needed to take 6 viles of blood. It was 6 different tests.

One was the CA125, one was a basic full blood work, one was a platelet test, presumably so they know I'll clot if I need surgery.
    Any ideas what the others would be? She hadn't even heard of two of the tests before and she has been taking blood for years.
    One had the word protein at the end of it but I can't remember the rest, I have an inkling it started with an A.
  • Rosiev2014
    Rosiev2014 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I think CA125 measures a specific protein level in your blood so it could be something similar to that but measuring a different protein, only guessing tho! I had a similar experience to you, my cyst grew to 6inch diameter and was removed via open surgery. I wish you all the best and hope your treatment goes well for you!
  • camilledaisy
    camilledaisy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the blood tests actually are but I do remember having a lot of vials taken. I just assumed it was because I was having surgery and they wanted to check everything out. The only info they gave me regarding the blood test were that I did have PCOS but was otherwise very healthy.
    Hoe you are feeling a little better and that you get answers quickly.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies.

Think I'll ring the doctors and ask. Hoping that the results are back after ,2pm today.
  • Machka9
    Options
    All the blood test results are great!

The cyst is 10.4cm in size, a large grapefruit sized.

MRI scan in the next few weeks to see how to deal with it. Not worried now.

That's a good sized one! Over the past decade or so, mine have usually been between about 1 and 3 cm ... small enough that they just leave them to resolve on their own.

They may decide to remove it, but those sorts of surgeries aren't terribly invasive.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    They said it might take a total hysterectomy depending on its blood supply route.
    That doesn't worry me, have to go through menopause some time right.

I just want my way of life back. It's so painful that walking is a struggle.
  • Machka9
    Options
    They said it might take a total hysterectomy depending on its blood supply route.

Really?!?

I think I might ask for a second opinion on that.

Anyway, if there is a "blood route" and based on the pain you're in, I'd guess that it could be a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I get cysts every month around ovulation. The scale rises, my tummy gets round, and then I am in incredible pain when it bursts. Some months worse than others.
  • Rosiev2014
    Rosiev2014 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So glad test results came back clear!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Really?!?

I think I might ask for a second opinion on that.

Anyway, if there is a "blood route" and based on the pain you're in, I'd guess that it could be a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst.

Thanks, I'll do that. They said depending on the mri results they might be able to starve the blood supply?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    <3
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Had the results from my MRI today.

It is 14cm in size and I am having a full hysterectomy before Christmas as it is crushing my internal organs.