No PMS!!!

I started back on my weight loss journey this month, I have not weighed myself yet but I can feel I've lost weight by how my clothes feel. But the best benefit thus far has been that I did not experienced PMS symptoms, yay!! My diet consists of low carbs and high protein, I have eliminated sugar completely other than what I get from fruits (these are kept at a minimum) I will be weighing myself on Tuesday and will keep everyone posted!

Let me know how changing your eating habits has helped you.

Replies

• GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Yup. You can manage pms symptoms through diet and exercise.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Brilliant! So what are the main ways for this. Basically less sugar, more protein? And how about things like caffeine and vitamins etc? What works? I just stopped eating most dairy except butter and lowered caffeine intake a lot - seemed to also make a bit of difference pain wise. But it would be awesome to do even better!
  • shorayna
    shorayna Posts: 24 Member
    klove808 wrote: »
    Brilliant! So what are the main ways for this. Basically less sugar, more protein? And how about things like caffeine and vitamins etc? What works? I just stopped eating most dairy except butter and lowered caffeine intake a lot - seemed to also make a bit of difference pain wise. But it would be awesome to do even better!

I stopped eating all things with added sugar because I get my sugar from fruits. I still drink coffee with milk no sugar, I take a multi vitamin, increased my protein intake, eliminated all white carbs like bread and pasta. It’s working so far and believe or not I am not craving junk food. Lost 9.6 pounds since I started 09/11/2017.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2017
    For me, diet/weight had no effect on PMS - as long as I eat some of whatever I crave that month (usually more carbs, sometimes salt) it's fine.

I did notice my usual menstrual symptoms decrease as I added moderate exercise - less intense cramps, fewer hip joint aches, fewer mood swings, less water retention. Losing weight didn't help until I added some exercise.
  • shorayna
    Meghanebk wrote: »
    For me, diet/weight had no effect on PMS - as long as I eat some of whatever I crave that month (usually more carbs, sometimes salt) it's fine.

I did notice my usual menstrual symptoms decrease as I added moderate exercise - less intense cramps, fewer hip joint aches, fewer mood swings, less water retention. Losing weight didn't help until I added some exercise.

Exercise helped me a lot with Cramping but I think sugar and carbs play a big role for me. I am not exercising right now but will start incorporating it soon but I’m not ready mentally yet
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Shorayna it cool how once you stop eating certain things the body defaults to not even caring about them- ie junk food. Same for me with caffeine and cheese - which I thought was impossible. And then when you start even excercizing a little it really starts to grow on you and become habitual. Think I'll see how the less sugar thing goes now too.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    No pasta/bread - are you ever making exceptions to this - like if everyone is eating pizza? I find I make too many exceptions and then I am no longer following my rules.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I think for me it's been overall weight loss, plus core strengthening exercises. I tend to eat high carb, moderate fat. It's not planned. I focus on hitting protein and iron targets and let the rest fall where it falls.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    GlassAngyl wrote: »

Agreed.

I don't need to completely eliminate added sugar or "white carbs" like the OP, however.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    shorayna wrote: »

Exercise helped me a lot with Cramping but I think sugar and carbs play a big role for me. I am not exercising right now but will start incorporating it soon but I’m not ready mentally yet

What is your mental barrier to exercise? I can see people with social anxiety, for example, needing to psyche themselves into joining a gym, but what about simply starting to walk? Or doing any of the many options available on youtube?
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    That's definitely excessive to lose 9.6 pounds in 17 days or 2 1/2 weeks.
  • rickiimarieee
    Or when you weighed in which was 15 days in just a day shy over 2 weeks. That's 4.8 pounds a week
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    I've just commented on another post regarding increased appetite at "that time". Since starting LCHF eating I haven't had PMS cravings and the same hormonal swings. Go figure
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Or when you weighed in which was 15 days in just a day shy over 2 weeks. That's 4.8 pounds a week

I am guessing most of this was in water weight. I lost 7 pound in 4 days because I had to much soduim over the weekend and became bloated. If she has another 4.8 per week in the next 2 weeks then depending on weight and goals. She may want to add more calories in.
  • rickiimarieee
    That is true, but if she is exercising her body will hold onto the water to heal the muscles. But I agree, if you have more than a 2 pound weight loss in the net week you should up your calories!
  • shorayna
    No pasta/bread - are you ever making exceptions to this - like if everyone is eating pizza? I find I make too many exceptions and then I am no longer following my rules.

Once a week I’ll have whole wheat bread cause I’ll eat a turkey club with avocado. But no pizza or white bread. I am not craving those things either
  • shorayna
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    GlassAngyl wrote: »

Agreed.

I don't need to completely eliminate added sugar or "white carbs" like the OP, however.

Lucky you, as soon as I eliminate processed sugar from my diet I start losing weight, its like I’m allergic to it I don’t know!!
  • shorayna
    That's definitely excessive to lose 9.6 pounds in 17 days or 2 1/2 weeks.

I am sticking to my calorie goal of 1200 and I think that the sudden change in my diet made me lose possibly water weight, I will weigh myself on Monday and I’m sure the loss will not be so much.

I am trying to walk a mile every day to incorporate some exercise. Because I was so unhealthy when I went to the gym I got tired quickly which discouraged me from going.

• shorayna
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    shorayna wrote: »

Yes I started to walk about a mile every morning. I am just tired when I get home from work, I leave home at 7:30 am and don’t get back until 6:30pm so I just don’t want to go to the gym. As of lately I do feel more energized!!
  • rickiimarieee
    If you start exercising make sure you enter it into your profile so it will up your calories because 1,200 is for sedentary, and the bare minimum of what you should be doing. If you become more active you need more calories.