Perfect home gym

Options
I starting to plan my home gym and pricing things out. But I would like imput on other people's favorite home equipment. What are your must haves?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Minimum 12mm exercise pad for floor work. Squat sponge for hip thrusts and heavy back squats.
    Those are my absolute must haves.
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    D-balls (30-40-50 lbs), trx, kettlebells (15, 35, 55 lbs), barbell with bumper plates and bench. This is my dream home gym :smiley:
  • healthydanni
    healthydanni Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I already have a mat ( super think came with our new house's garage), a stationary bike, and two kettle bell (10 and 15 pounds) both my husband and I would like an elliptical and some sort of weight machine. We will have to insulate the whole garage next spring/summer. But I'm super excited ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, lifting cage, and a heavy bag.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    For me its pretty simple.
    1. A decent cardio machine. I use an elliptical
    2. A good bench
    3. set of dumbbells with assorted weights

plenty of other assorted things that I have inherited or picked up but you can get a fantastic workout with very little equipment. I of course have plenty of additional supplies but tbh the staple of my workouts revolve around those simple pieces.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I love my garage gym! I have a bench, bar and rack I use for bench press and triceps dips, then a separate bar and squat stands for square and shoulder press. It goes way faster not not have to reset everything all the time. Takes up some space though. Mandatories include yoga mat, Pilates circle for stretching, stability ball and foam roller -- all are cheap on Amazon and quite useful.
  • healthydanni
    Options
    Tony Little Glider, Ab Circle, and a shake weight

I feel like this is a joke;)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Tony Little Glider, Ab Circle, and a shake weight

Best answer of the day...perhaps week.
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Options
    My biggest want is a power rack preferably with a Lat pulldown attachment. I can hang a heavy bag on it, use it for pull ups/dips eventually, use an adjustable bench for bench & incline press & other lifts besides squats. Plus all the weighs hang on it too.
  • izanebricks
    izanebricks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had bought a set of dumbbells 5-50lbs, and they are great to have as options, but after a few months I out-grew them for some of the bigger lifts. Bought a power rack and a barbell which allows for very heavy lifting, pullups, rings, and cable work.
    Other type of equipment that's handy are Swiss ball, step-up box, yoga mat, and a rower machine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can pick up a lot of used equipment in decent shape at Goodwill, Craigslist, eBay etc
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't have room in this new house, but my home gym in my last house had the following;
    Weight lifting equipment: barbells, dumbells, free weights.
    Weight lifting cable machine with the stack: 220lbs of stack and all the accessories.
    Elliptical, but you could do a treadmill based on what you like.
    Rowing machine.
    TV with DVD player, yoga mat and lighter weights for doing workout DVD's
    and of course, a few kettle bells.

I miss that home gym...but the gym around the corner here has all that and a pool too, so I'll be okay.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Concept 2 rowing machine (I'd get the dynamic if I were buying now vs. 15 years ago), pull-up bar (for more than just pull-ups), weight plates & bars (try garage sales/Craigslist), reasonable rack for plates, inflatable exercise ball, long foam roller, some kind of basic weight bench, elastic exercise bands.
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Kettle bells are a MUST!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Really no such thing as a "perfect" gym - - at home or otherwise. There will always be compromises.

All you can do is buy the best equipment that you can afford, that will fit in the space that you have available and that best meets your workout and exercise needs, goals and objectives.

What equiupment that will be will vary for everyone.
  • healthydanni
    Options
    I don't have room in this new house, but my home gym in my last house had the following;
    Weight lifting equipment: barbells, dumbells, free weights.
    Weight lifting cable machine with the stack: 220lbs of stack and all the accessories.
    Elliptical, but you could do a treadmill based on what you like.
    Rowing machine.
    TV with DVD player, yoga mat and lighter weights for doing workout DVD's
    and of course, a few kettle bells.

I miss that home gym...but the gym around the corner here has all that and a pool too, so I'll be okay.

I love ellipticals, I have low back and some knee issues treadmills seem to irrate both.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Without question, a power rack. I can do pretty much everything I need to do with that.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ yep. I want a power cage. Oh and oly bars and weights lol. But yep. That's my dream