Scale not moving despite trying EVERYTHING! HELP!!!

Options

Replies

• EllyAHJ
    EllyAHJ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Come on, scale(s)! I am after you now!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's just not possible to weigh everything you eat - particularly if you have a social/work life that involves eating out quite often. You can make all the healthy choices in the world, but if you're 'eyeballing' and guessing calories, it can still be a problem. Short of taking the scale to the cafe/restaurant with you (some people would happily do that, I'm not one of them!), it is does leave quite a bit of possibility for error.

What I have been doing, and it seems to be working, is on days when I need to do this (not even always 'need', but want - I like actually living my life whilst losing weight), I just leave 100-200 extra calories free for that day to allow for a margin of error. I have a really awesome Middle Eastern salad cafe that I visit at least once a week for lunch. It's really healthy food, but they are always changing their salads an ingredients up. I have a look at the plate, make my best guess and enter it into MFP and then shoot for 100 calories less that day (I reduce it by more if I'm having a higher calorie meal).

I'm logging accurately 85-90% of the time and giving myself this margin of error a few times a week and I've been losing. It might not be the ideal solution for everyone, but if this helps someone else then happy days. :smiley:
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Im curious, are you saying youve been dieting and exercising since may and haven't lost a pound? Or have you been losing and plateau?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I measure with cups and measuring spoons already. But sounds like a digital scale for greater accuracy is necessary.

The calorie range is due to the fluctuation in my 'earned' exercise calories for each day, hence this "I think". I track everything, and have done for months.

The general piece of advice I give to anybody wearing an activity tracker, myself included, is that you set your MFP activity level to sedentary to make sure you are not "double dipping" on your activity calories as well as enabling negative calorie adjustments. That is the way you can make sure you are being as accurate as possible in your calorie tracking

Now if you want to up your game when it comes to activity tracking, I recommend Polar products which have continuous 24/7 heart rate monitoring so you get the most accurate activity tracking possible. Others may prefer different brands, but I have used polar for years and couldn't be happier. YMMV

MFP won't double-dip even if you are at a higher activity level. People with a higher activity level begin "earning" adjustments after more movement that people at a lower level. This is specifically to prevent double-dipping. MFP only begin adding adjustments after someone has moved more than their activity level setting would have predicted for the day. So someone at "active" has to move a lot more than someone at "sedentary" to begin earning adjustments.

Just thought I should add that you still have to enable negative calorie adjustments when using a tracker, no matter what activity level you're on.
  • EllyAHJ
    Options
    Im curious, are you saying youve been dieting and exercising since may and haven't lost a pound? Or have you been losing and plateau?

Haven't lost a pound since May...
  • dustinjbrock
    Options

If you are strength training and running, you will be building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat so paying attention to the mirror rather then the scale may be your best bet.

As far as diet goes, there must be something your missing. Dieting doesn't work if you sabotage it at all. I.e. sweets, breads.

I'm not sure on the diet you follow but challenge yourself to go 10 days strict, just 10 days. No sugar at all, no diet pop, absolutely no bread or dairy.

I justified little treats here and there as I thought I was doing so good..... nope, they completely sabotaged my weight loss.

OP, please disregard this post.

Could you please explain why?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

If you are strength training and running, you will be building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat so paying attention to the mirror rather then the scale may be your best bet.

As far as diet goes, there must be something your missing. Dieting doesn't work if you sabotage it at all. I.e. sweets, breads.

I'm not sure on the diet you follow but challenge yourself to go 10 days strict, just 10 days. No sugar at all, no diet pop, absolutely no bread or dairy.

I justified little treats here and there as I thought I was doing so good..... nope, they completely sabotaged my weight loss.

Because the things you mention are not necessary. For example, how does cutting out diet pop (zero calories) influence weight loss? It's not much different from drinking water.

ETA: ^^^ What he said.
  • dustinjbrock
    Options
    Because it's full of wrong information. You can't build muscle on a calorie deficit. Sweets and breads won't make you gain weight themselves if you are maintaining a calorie deficit. There's no advantage to cutting out bread, sugar, and dairy, and there sure as hell is no benefit to cutting out diet drinks. Literally everything you said was wrong.

Excuse me? First of all, the op stated she's looking to lose weight, not build muscle. Second, yes you can build muscle, I lost 30lbs fat and gained 7lbs muscle on a calorie deficient diet so go ahead and tell me what I cannot do.

Depending on the type of diet a person is on, all of those things may have a place but my suggestion to someone struggling to make it work..... go very strict for 10 days, see some quick results for motivation and then tweak your diet from there.

You want to lose weight fast, how would sugar and breads and dairy aid you? And please explain in your vast knowledge how diet pop is good for you? If all you are looking at is calories, then you are Ill educated on what you are doing.

Dustin - how many pounds did you lose in the first 10 days of your diet? Did you count calories?

I was using the mfp to track calories. With most diets when you follow them closely, you'll lose mostly water weight but that couple pounds off the scale and seeing a little result in the mirror is what's always motivated me to then continue on with any diet I've tried. I found that even the slightest result helps get a person amped up.
  • EllyAHJ
    Options
    Thanks, all. I appreciate the debate. I think the clear thing is the scale v. measuring cups/spoons for tracking, as well as eating to my 'earned' calories. Exercise cals are off. The digital scale is here. Let's see what this next couple of weeks bring...

It's worth pointing out that I am sugar- and grain-free. And, eek, nearly 41...as my doctor so "helpfully" pointed out, I may be feeling demain ageing in the mix. Bleurgh!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks, all. I appreciate the debate. I think the clear thing is the scale v. measuring cups/spoons for tracking, as well as eating to my 'earned' calories. Exercise cals are off. The digital scale is here. Let's see what this next couple of weeks bring...

It's worth pointing out that I am sugar- and grain-free. And, eek, nearly 41...as my doctor so "helpfully" pointed out, I may be feeling demain ageing in the mix. Bleurgh!

When you say 'sugar free' what do you mean? Do you mean no sugar at all, like you eat no fruits and vegetables? Or are you just talking about limiting foods that contain added sugar? Big difference.

Either way, if your calories in are less than your calories out you will lose weight, so sugar and grains aren't really a factor.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Because it is inaccurate and encourages unnecessary restrictions.