Lost/ Grits

Options
Hi I just want to ask how you can type grits with cocoa (from European way to USA ) ?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Not sure I understood the question. Can you rephrase it?
  • Katy2Survivor
    Katy2Survivor Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We here in Europe we eat sweet grits with cocoa on top .. I dont find no where food with this name so I thought maybe is. Called different in USA
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK, (still in Europe at the moment), never heard of grits with cocoa. How do you make it, or can you describe what it is?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're adding cocoa on top you would log the grits, then log the cocoa you add. Also log anything else you add.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    I'm from the UK, (still in Europe at the moment), never heard of grits with cocoa. How do you make it, or can you describe what it is?

Interesting. I'm in the UK too and have never heard of anyone eating grits here. Didn't even know you could buy them here!
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have lived in 4 different countries in Europe and have no idea what grits are.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Katt551 wrote: »
    We here in Europe we eat sweet grits with cocoa on top .. I dont find no where food with this name so I thought maybe is. Called different in USA
    Are you referring to Farina, or Cream of Wheat? Here in the USA "grits" usually refers to ground hominy, a type of corn. Delicious with butter, salt and pepper. I don't think it would go well with cocoa.

That's just your preconception. Before you add the butter, salt, and pepper, hominy (grits) is just as bland as cream of wheat farina (cream of wheat). Both will take equally well to savory or sweet recipes. Just like oatmeal or rice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Are you referring to Farina, or Cream of Wheat? Here in the USA "grits" usually refers to ground hominy, a type of corn. Delicious with butter, salt and pepper. I don't think it would go well with cocoa.

That's just your preconception. Before you add the butter, salt, and pepper, hominy (grits) is just as bland as cream of wheat farina (cream of wheat). Both will take equally well to savory or sweet recipes. Just like oatmeal or rice.

I've made cocoa grits before, they were pretty tasty. I still would have savory as my first choice, but that's because I tend to prefer savory stuff more anyway.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I have lived in 4 different countries in Europe and have no idea what grits are.

2 different European countries here and even after googling it still no idea what grits are.
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

2 different European countries here and even after googling it still no idea what grits are.

It is like polenta, if you know what that is?

Grits are usually served (as far as I've seen) as a more liquid-like dish, rather than a firmer dish. Sometimes polenta can be made drier, then sliced and fried... I don't think grits are ever served like that. So basically a ground cornmeal cooked in a liquid to make a thick, soupy dish (like oatmeal or porridge). I've only had grits savory, with garlic or cheese or salt.

I don't know what cocoa grits might be called in the MFP database. I've never heard of such a thing in the parts of the US I've lived.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is CoCo Wheats! When I was a kid back in the 50s 60s, We ate CoCo Wheats. It was more like Cream of Wheat with a cocoa flavor but still very similar to grits. I can imagine eating grits with sugar and cocoa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADtOBVqG2g
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

So interesting. I've never heard of this but I know some people put chocolate in their oatmeal so it seems like it would be similar.

Anyway, @kimny72 gave good advice. Log the different ingredients rather than the end product.
  • Katy2Survivor
    Katy2Survivor Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ssbbg wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »

It is like polenta, if you know what that is?

Grits are usually served (as far as I've seen) as a more liquid-like dish, rather than a firmer dish. Sometimes polenta can be made drier, then sliced and fried... I don't think grits are ever served like that. So basically a ground cornmeal cooked in a liquid to make a thick, soupy dish (like oatmeal or porridge). I've only had grits savory, with garlic or cheese or salt.

I don't know what cocoa grits might be called in the MFP database. I've never heard of such a thing in the parts of the US I've lived.

Yes that is !
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Can you log ingredients separately? Weigh the dry cornmeal, log it, weigh the sugar, log it, weigh the cocoa, log it..etc for any other ingredients. It's actually more accurate than looking to log a complete dish. For what it's worth, you could search for it in your language. There are entries from multiple languages around the database. Keep in mind most of these are user-created so won't be as accurate and I suggest not to use them until you have a bit of experience with the database to recognize a reasonable entry.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I think you mean this? http://tastefulescapes.ecrater.com/p/8564187/gris-wheat-grits-from-croatia

OP - are you from Eastern Europe? I'm sure the other counties have something similar... anyways, cream of wheat is what it is in North America ..