Calories burned in yoga

Options
Does it differ for everyone based on weight and types of yoga? I came across to thinking about it yesterday and found this site I believe is similar to mfp from the looks of it but what are your thoughts? I just want to make sure that the calories are accurate. I do ashtanga/vinyasa. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=71

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What I did with exercise calories is look at several sites' estimates. I had a heart rate monitor (Polar) for a while, too. I would use an average of several sites' and my HRM for the first time I tried a particular activity and then create my own new Exercise for the database, for my use. Then it would be in my personal list of exercises on here and I could just adjust the minutes when I used the entry the next time.

After a while of logging my food and exercise, I knew if something was really off.

Just keep good records. If you are entering your food accurately and your daily activity (job/school/housework) accurately and things are going well, you're okay. If your weight loss is not going according to your stated goals, at least you know where to tweak.

Calories in and out are never going to be 100%. We do the best we can. Keep good records, adjust accordingly.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    to answer your question, ALL exercise depends on weight and type. So vinyasa will use more calories than hatha, and someone weighing 200lb will burn more than someone weighing 140lb. I had a quick look based on my weight and what I did this morning (160lb doing 30min vinyasa). My fitbit (where I log all my exericse) puts that workout at 78 calories, this one had double that - 142 - so I will stick with fitbit because I would rather underestimate the calorie burn then overestimate, and I have done workouts I was confident was close to 142 calories and they are harder than the yoga I did this morning.

Entirely up to you.