Bone broth question

Options
I've always made broth from scraps and bones. I was taught that the broth was done once all the marrow had cooked out of the bones. Is this not bone broth? What differentiates bone broth from regular old broth?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    What you're describing is stock. Chicken stock, or beef stock or whatever. "Bone broth" is just some wierd trendy name. Broth is normally made with meat scraps without the bone, and whatever aromatics you have.
  • janelleu1
    janelleu1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In the culinary world, it's the marrow that gives your stock all the flavor. The bones are the essential foundation for flavorful, healthy stock. You want to make sure you roast the bones first, and onion, carrot and celery are a must. Using store bought broth is sufficient if your not accustomed to well made stock. But once you've tasted the real stuff, it's hard to go back.

While we're on the topic, how do you count the calories? Looking on line tells me beef stock has anywhere from 35-500 calories.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    @janelleu1
    I've got no bones (See what I did there?) about making the broth/stock. I just happened to be in the grocery store today and saw beef broth and bone beef broth side by side on the shelf. There was a bit more protein in the bone broth, but it also cost $2 more. I've always made my own; I'm just wondering if this is hipster BS or if there really is a difference. I think @bpetrosky has the right idea-- trendy renaming.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    @janelleu1
    I've got no bones (See what I did there?) about making the broth/stock. I just happened to be in the grocery store today and saw beef broth and bone beef broth side by side on the shelf. There was a bit more protein in the bone broth, but it also cost $2 more. I've always made my own; I'm just wondering if this is hipster BS or if there really is a difference. I think @bpetrosky has the right idea-- trendy renaming.

The $2 is a surcharge for being naive enough to fall for marketing/trendiness.