NOISE

Options
Fitkam90
Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
My music thread got me thinking of a different topic...noise! It shocks me that so many people are able to listen and enjoy heavy metal lol! Does anyone have a fear or intolerance of loud noises? Or an intense disgust with a certain noise, noises that fill you with rage? I have had a problem with noise since I was little bitty. Scared of vacuums, guns, concerts, movie theatres, certain children's toys, firework displays, rooms where there are a bunch of people talking all at once. Even family occasions where there is alot going on at once, sends me running outside or to another room to get away and get some peace and quiet and to calm down! I have had misophonia since a child also, rage when I can hear people eating. I hate even hearing myself eat haha! Misophonia runs on my mom's side of the family, my 5 year old niece has it now! What noises drive you crazy?? Or what noises are you scared of? Or am I an anomaly? These forums are so interesting to me. So cool to hear everyone's unique responses.

Replies

• xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    My work tends to be very noisy. So, when I'm home I prefer almost no noise. I might turn music on. But, rarely.

Otherwise, I have no real issues with sound. A day at the racetrack, shooting guns, riding motorcycles, etc. don't really bother me. Though, some noises do cause me to react a certain way. But, that's more from instinct than being bothersome.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    People that chomp their food/gum especially if the mouth is open. Kettle chips will send me over the edge.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I don't do well in crowds, or situations where everyone is talking to each other, often I have to leave. It's mentally exhausting for me, like sensory overload.

I also focus on some people's eating noises and breathing noises. I have a hard time being around them.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I don't do well in crowds, or situations where everyone is talking to each other, often I have to leave. It's mentally exhausting for me, like sensory overload.

I also focus on some people's eating noises and breathing noises. I have a hard time being around them.

We can hang out together with ear plugs and watch YouTube videos with the captions on

That sounds perfect! If we have something to say we can text each other
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I can't cope with people tapping, it genuinely makes me angry.
  • 123liveoak
    123liveoak Posts: 2,239 Member
    Options
    sneezes... :D ...mainly the loud sneezers
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like quiet and can't deal with prolonged periods of people shouting or talking very loudly.

It's also extremely hard for me to "tune out" kids, babies, dogs, cats, etc, if they are making noise. I think part of that, for me, is that I have rarely been in any situation where I was providing care of a child and I'm pretty unfamiliar with them. Since I am a human being myself that probably sounds way dumb, but I don't have kids and don't know much about what they do or need - so my first instinct when a child is whining/crying is to assume they're in pain and dying and need medical attention. And they might just be having a meltdown because of a toy they didn't get. But it REALLY bugs me and I don't mean that when I hear a screaming child in Target, I'm just thinking "The parents should shut up that kid" I mean, it makes it impossible for me to remain calm and think clearly and I may just have to leave.

I like some metal music and other "hard" music including loads of electronic stuff. I like loud crowds and concerts just fine. It doesn't bug me at all to hear people chewing their food, even chips. Cracking their gum? Not a problem unless I'm trying to take a difficult test or something along those lines.

I don't like TV or radio as "background noise". I find it annoying and unnecessary, especially if I'm alone. I could never fall asleep to music with lyrics as I'm constantly listening for the words in music - whether I want to or not.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My coworker's loud typing. Literally banging on the keyboard.

That's me. A demented raccoon typing, that is what I sound like.

Sorry.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the sound of Stephen Colbert's voice, I don't know why... it doesn't matter if he's funny, I hate his voice, simply cannot endure it! Once someone was showing me some animated show and I was physically cringing from the sound of one of the characters and later they told me Colbert had done the voice of that character and I was like "no wonder I hated it!" :s
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    I like quiet and can't deal with prolonged periods of people shouting or talking very loudly.

It's also extremely hard for me to "tune out" kids, babies, dogs, cats, etc, if they are making noise. I think part of that, for me, is that I have rarely been in any situation where I was providing care of a child and I'm pretty unfamiliar with them. Since I am a human being myself that probably sounds way dumb, but I don't have kids and don't know much about what they do or need - so my first instinct when a child is whining/crying is to assume they're in pain and dying and need medical attention. And they might just be having a meltdown because of a toy they didn't get. But it REALLY bugs me and I don't mean that when I hear a screaming child in Target, I'm just thinking "The parents should shut up that kid" I mean, it makes it impossible for me to remain calm and think clearly and I may just have to leave.

I like some metal music and other "hard" music including loads of electronic stuff. I like loud crowds and concerts just fine. It doesn't bug me at all to hear people chewing their food, even chips. Cracking their gum? Not a problem unless I'm trying to take a difficult test or something along those lines.

I don't like TV or radio as "background noise". I find it annoying and unnecessary, especially if I'm alone. I could never fall asleep to music with lyrics as I'm constantly listening for the words in music - whether I want to or not.

Kids and babies screaming is 100% a stress inducer!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The relentless barking of yard dogs in the neighborhood, the tantrum-y whining and crying of bratty kids (legit crying of a child who is sick or in pain doesn't irk me - I can tell the difference), country music - the twangier it is the more it makes me want to punch a wall.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    I can't stand the sound of Stephen Colbert's voice, I don't know why... it doesn't matter if he's funny, I hate his voice, simply cannot endure it! Once someone was showing me some animated show and I was physically cringing from the sound of one of the characters and later they told me Colbert had done the voice of that character and I was like "no wonder I hated it!" :s

Lol man! I'm the same way with Matthew Mcconaughey. Can't stand his fake sounding country accent. I like real country accents. His is so fake sounding to me. His voice makes me cringe.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Rage literally feels my soul when I hear someone chewing.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    jkou77 wrote: »
    sneezes... :D ...mainly the loud sneezers

Omg my dad is the loudest sneezer in the world. One time he silenced an entire lobby of people talking because he sneezed and it echoed. A really huge dome like hotel lobby. It's more like a violent yell than a sneeze
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

ExACTly!