Brownies

Options
So I'm cooking brownies for my family, I'm cooking Betty Crocker. How many calories are in a single brownie? All it says is 1/9 of the mix. I made it all which made 12 brownies. All about 2 inches in length and 1 inch deep.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I use the Recipe Builder for stuff like this.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it thank you!!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Where is the recipe builder at?
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Its on the drop down tab.... recipes, meals,foods, and create a new recipe
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Oh thank you! Found it!
  • Anna_137
    Anna_137 Posts: 167 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Was it a prepackaged mix?

If the serving size in the database is 1/9 of the packet, then log 3/4s of a serving. 3/4s of 1/9 is the same as 1/12.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Multiply the package "calories per brownie" by 9, then divide that by 12 to get the calories for each of your smaller brownies. :)
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Thank you ladies
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    :D
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    Options
    Without the package in front of me, I can only look at internet "values". Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie on their web page has a value of 1/20th of the package -->*OR 26g* <-- of mix having 100 Cal.

The simplest method is to put the mix box on the scale. Hit the tare button.
    Pour out the brownie mix you are going to use.
    Note the negative value in grams.

For example in the 1/20 pg=26g mix box, one might find the actual value to be 520g, or they might find the value to be 530g or 510g.

You then weigh the milk, butter, eggs, what have you that you end up using.

You bake your brownies, and then you weight the total amount of brownies that you've produced.

Lo and behold you can determine that 750g of finished brownies correspond to 510g of mix plus 200g of milk plus 51g of egg plus 28 g of butter or whatever else you put in there *the values have been randomly chosen for illustration purposes: I've no idea if they would make a brownie or not!*

Knowing the above information you can now have 1/20th of brownie or 2/3 of a brownie or 19/20 of a brownie, because all you have to do is pop the dang brownie on a scale and note that you just had 159g of brownie which you can link back to your original brownie calorie totals!!!

Your current method will work of course.... but it is much less precise than actually weighting out all the items.