Can't use verticle leg raise stand. Please advise.

Options
Seffell
Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I can't lift myself by my arms to use the verticle leg raise on the stand. My upper arms/shoulders let go immediately. They are too weak to keep me up even for one leg raise. Please tell me which muscles I should strengthen exactly to be able to use the stand. Can you please suggest exercises to strengthen them? I feel quite dumb, everyone in the gym seems to use the stand without a problem. So embarrassing when I try.

I'm 36 yo female, 138lbs. I've been doing Strong Curves for 7 weeks now, 3x a week, progressing quite nicely. Just this strange stand... stands in the way.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about one of these? If so, I'd use lying leg raises for now. Or another ab exercise of your choosing.

• Seffell
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are you talking about one of these? If so, I'd use lying leg raises for now. Or another ab exercise of your choosing.

Yes, like this. Thanks but I'm asking for arm strengthening exercise so that I can use the stand. I would be able raise my legs on this if my arms could hold me for 1 sec at least. When I try to lift myself my shoulders just give up and my body dips to the floor immediately.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never used one of those. I'd suggest just continuing to follow your current program. If you're doing one of the full body versions of Strong Curves you are doing upper body work already. Don't start adding other stuff at this point. It's not necessary.
  • Seffell
    Options
    OK thanks both.
    I hope eventually my arms will strengthen enough. I'm lifting 10kg per arm on the dumbbel row now but the bloody stand still won't have me :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's not your arms, it's lats and pecs to hold your shoulders down.

Your elbows and forearms should be on the pads, just saying because of the comments made that you need to improve arm strength, which makes me wonder if using it correctly.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/BWVerticalLegHipRaise.html

And don't worry, a lot of people do it wrong and don't engage their abdominals anyway.

Check out the perfectly good alternates listed on that page.

As to lats/pecs to keep your shoulders from squeezing up to your ears and allowing body to drop through (you may also me just too small framed for the size of the stand anyway, don't fight that), check out the following options for what may be there.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/BackWt.html#Latissimus
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ChestWt.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do those to train abs. A good lying leg raise can help achieve the same. Better yet, to start strengthening the abs, work on things like frog kicks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Seffell
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks so much @heybales
    Yes, it's exactly my shoulders squeezing to my ears is what's happening.

I know I don't have to use the stand. I just want to be able to.

Thanks.

ETA: wow this site is great. thanks @heybales