Why do I still look fat ? :(

Options
2»

Replies

• Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wish I looked as good as you! You look great!

How do you add pictures on here from a phone? Off topic, but curious.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    maybe a little body dysmorphia? I feel like a lot of us have it from time to time. You don't look fat at all, but you could tone up and add more muscle if you want to appear more cut.
  • turtlemt20
    turtlemt20 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hm.. maybe I had unrealistic expectations and yeah I guess I should tone up but I'm afraid of gaining weight and going outside of my maintenance range :/

I started Crossfit 2 weeks ago and I'm already trending towards the end of my range (114-115)
  • Grimmerick
    edited September 2017
    Options
    turtlemt20 wrote: »
    Hm.. maybe I had unrealistic expectations and yeah I guess I should tone up but I'm afraid of gaining weight and going outside of my maintenance range :/

I started Crossfit 2 weeks ago and I'm already trending towards the end of my range (114-115)

DO NOT lock onto a number on the scale, you do yourself no favors by tying in how you look to your weight on a scale....BIG mistake. Look at mybodygallery.com put in your height weight and age range, you will see how differently people look while still having the same height and weight, purely based on what their body composition is. My friend is 160lbs and looks thinner and more toned than you.....for an example.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

When you start lifting weights and get more muscle, you will look better at a higher weight. Don't let an arbitrary number on the scale stop you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Starting new exercise will more than likely lead to water retention, and subsequent weight increases.

Remember that you can weigh more, but be leaner (and tighter/smaller) when you are more muscular. If weight increases freak you out, perhaps go by pics and measurements instead of the scale.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    ja6dp1kg3xcb.png

Here is a good example, look at this girl at 122lbs then at 140lbs, which looks better to you?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

I think some of us also just carry our fat in our torsos/abdomens more. You've got a similar build to me, and I share your concerns with how I look in pictures.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Water weight can account for up to 5 lbs gain at any one time, especially when starting a new exercise program. I can gain 5lbs of water weight in a single day easily eating BBQ and doing a hard workout. It takes 2-3 days to start seeing it drop off after that. You're going to have to give yourself a range that you want to stay within, because muscle weighs more than fat, and in the end you'll likely end up weighing a little bit more but looking better. Oh, and I see no fat, what you're talking about is called 'skinny fat'. It's from not having enough muscle to compliment the lower weight. Switch to recomp eat at or slightly (up to 100 cals or so) above maintenance calories and stay away from the scale except maybe 1 time a month. Just my .02
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Not to presume but do you spend a lot of time on social media? Do you look around you at what other fit women look like IRL? I say this because I struggle myself against negative self-image even after having lost a lot of weight, and a big part of it is looking at social media and seeing these glow-y insta models whether I want to or not. That, and looking at strangers on the internet who are much skinnier than I am talking about how fat they feel... :pensive:

This is so true. Remember that models and celebrities are photoshopped to smooth out their silhouette. Real life is different. Go online and look for pictures of celebrities and models from the 1950s before photoshopping existed, and before the 60s when most models looked like famine victims!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Not fat at all. You look great. I'd definitely describe you as "thin". You stomach looks flat. Your calves look skinny.
  • turtlemt20
    turtlemt20 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. Before this, I mostly just run or do Zumba but I'll focus on lifting