Dr. Lustig is he on to something?

Options

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Sugar may disrupt metabolism, but let's not get confused. Over-eating is what causes obesity.

I started my nutritional/fitness journey many moons back with a précis of a Lustig lecture and that led me down the Taubes path but, having read the counter arguments at length I can agree with this, it's the old-fashioned energy gap.

There ain't no one magic macronutrient factor, it's too much fork/mouth movement and not enough leg. In the vast majority of cases ...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Sugar may disrupt metabolism, but let's not get confused. Over-eating is what causes obesity.

I started my nutritional/fitness journey many moons back with a précis of a Lustig lecture and that led me down the Taubes path but, having read the counter arguments at length I can agree with this, it's the old-fashioned energy gap.

There ain't no one magic macronutrient factor, it's too much fork/mouth movement and not enough leg. In the vast majority of cases ...

QW.gif

sheldon.gif
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Dr Lustig is an objective scientist who constantly works to remove personal bias in order to uncover the truth
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause obesity...excess eating does. Whether you're eating cookies or cauliflower is irrelevant. Surplus of anything equals weight gain.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yes, he is probably on something. My guess is LSD. Oh, wait....what?

That is so what I initially read for the title...:D
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    jonstewartpopcorn_zps2dd56bbb.gif

In to find later because I feel this will be a funny read tonight.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    quack_zps0b65604e.jpg
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I can't help but laugh at him. Both his theory, and his name. (those who know german will get it)

when I saw this post I thought it was a joke lol
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Dr. Lustig thoroughly embarrasses himself in the comments section. I cannot bear to even look at it again, I blush too hard.

For anyone who is bored and has an hour or two to read through the comment section, it is quite entertaining. My favorite is how Lustig and his supporters keep coming back to this "The Japanese only consume fructose in the form of fruit. They have no added sugar in their diet." argument. But people who have lived there in the past decade keep pointing out how things have changed over the past 20 years to the point where the Japanese consume as much fructose/added sugar and alcohol as we do. So Lustig comes in 50 comments later and posts the study that he used to support his point AND IT IS FROM 1979 even though his whole argument and "study" only focuses on the 90's and 2000's. I legit lol'd.

Oh and sorry if someone else has already pointed this out in this thread. Like I said, I've spent awhile reading through those comments.

And then comes the name-calling
    The defense rests. I shall not respond any further, as I have satisfied your criteria for objectivity and experimental and mechanistic rigor, and I have better things to do than engage in this continued puerile one-upsmanship. I’ll let the public decide who they wish to believe. And thus far, based on the 230,000 YouTube hits and numerous blogs extolling this line of reasoning, I’ll take my chances.
    Sincerely (for the final time),
    Robert Lustig, M.D.

And this follow up from the blog owner
    On a whim, I emailed Dr. Lustig thanking him for contributing, and I even praised him for his tenacity despite our disagreement. His initial response was cordial, but contentious. The last thing I want to do is spend my time in a private email debate with him. I let him know that the point of our discussion in the first place is to educate the public, so I invited him to re-engage with me over here, for the learning benefit of the readers. He refused. His second response was less cordial, more contentious, and more bristling toward the idea of coming back here. He even had some choice descriptors of the contributors to this discussion, which I’m sure is why he disallowed me to post our email exchange publicly.

Epic smackdown.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Dr Lustig is an objective scientist who constantly works to remove personal bias in order to uncover the truth

Truer words have never been typed.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If we're not to believe everything we see on TV, we should believe even less of what we see on YouTube...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The defense rests. I shall not respond any further, as I have satisfied your criteria for objectivity and experimental and mechanistic rigor, and I have better things to do than engage in this continued puerile one-upsmanship. I’ll let the public decide who they wish to believe. And thus far, based on the 230,000 YouTube hits and numerous blogs extolling this line of reasoning, I’ll take my chances.
    Sincerely (for the final time),
    Robert Lustig, M.D.

Chris Crocker has 46 MILLION youtube hits on just one video. I would rather take dietary advice from him.
    Leave Lustig alone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Had seen the reference to http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/ and the comment section several times, but had never taken the time to read it.

Wow. I'm just now into the comments section, but Lyle sure comes out of the gates swinging, doesn't he. I can see where this is going to get good.

(All that said, I'm still not entirely convinced that either side is entirely correct on this...am interested to know how "leaky gut", food intolerances, and other non-CICO concepts come into play.)
  • MMoriarty2013
    Options
    After watching Dr. Lustig on youtube and hearing some of his lectures I would like to hear more opinions on him. Preferably counter arguments. Basically he states sugar is one of the primary causes of obesity and has some convincing arguments.
    Opinions?
    Dr. Lustig comes across as alarmist, but with impressive professional credentials, and I appreciate the inclusion of science and biochemistry into his presentation. Whether or not one is convinced about how toxic sugar is, I have yet to see a good argument against moderating the calories derived from nutritive sweeteners.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If we're not to believe everything we see on TV, we should believe even less of what we see on YouTube...
    Haha!! Your right! We should not believe what is on Television (which is why I do not have cable). But youtube can be good for educational purposes (even if it is by some Doctor making claims that do not seem legit) . I think I can see through your sarcasm on this point and I will move on to people who have legitimate info! Thank you for the pointless input.
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    After watching Dr. Lustig on youtube and hearing some of his lectures I would like to hear more opinions on him. Preferably counter arguments. Basically he states sugar is one of the primary causes of obesity and has some convincing arguments.
    Opinions?
    Dr. Lustig comes across as alarmist, but with impressive professional credentials, and I appreciate the inclusion of science and biochemistry into his presentation. Whether or not one is convinced about how toxic sugar is, I have yet to see a good argument against moderating the calories derived from nutritive sweeteners.
    I am leaning more towards your point of view, even though he had me almost sold. It sounds good in theory and maybe pieces are correct, but I am not totally convinced after reading counter arguments!
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Maybe there's some truth to what he says? I don't know. What I do know is a lot of overweight people (myself included - not now, but before) like to look for excuses why they gained weight or why they can't lose weight. Dr. Lustig provides them with yet another excuse. If people want to blame sugar for their weight problem, that's up to them. I only hope they've honestly looked at their past weight loss efforts and know for sure if sugar was actually the culprit or was calorie balance the problem. Why cut out foods if you don't have to?
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause obesity...excess eating does. Whether you're eating cookies or cauliflower is irrelevant. Surplus of anything equals weight gain.
    Can you imagine that.....Im overweight because of cauliflower!