How to take your measurements correctly :)

Options
Hello everyone !
So, What's the correct way to take your measurements ?
I've heard that for males you measure your waist around your belly button, and for females halfway between belly button and sternum

Plus, measuring thigh and breast. Is there any way to have consistent measurements on those ?

Also some people say you need to exhale when taking your measurements.

Any opinions or advice on taking measurements of your body correctly ?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist both around my belly button and at the narrowest spot. I do not exhale or suck it in while taking measurements. I suppose I flex very slightly just so I don't move. You mostly want to aim for being consistent in your method, whichever method it is you choose.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Don't use the Belly button.

For waist(AC-abdominal circumference) .5-2 inches above the hip crest. Males and females.

For Thigh, Pick a distance above the knee 3-4 inches. Or measure from knee to crotch... and use half.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I measure at my natural waist (the smallest part), and at the belly button. I do it in front of a mirror and try to keep the tape horizontal. My natural waist doesn't change much, but at the belly button does. I measure at the largest part of my left thigh, which is a few inches below the crotch (no reason on left, but just to keep it consistent), and the largest part of my butt for the "hips". For the bust I try to put the tape over my nipples and keep it horizontal but I have small breasts and they don't sag much.
  • iotterbeinbed
    iotterbeinbed Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly either.

I don't measure my belly, as that can change drastically day to day, depending on my water retention.
    For my waist, I measure at the point where I can see the inward curve.
    Upper arm, I measure at the halfway point between my shoulder and elbow.
    Thigh, I measure around the widest part standing up.
    Hip, again around the widest part. Aligned with my hip bones.
    Chest, around the entire chest, including breasts... like BusyRae said, the tape goes over my nipples.