"Required" Cardio

Options
So I use Map My Run like twice a work for "required" cardio. I hate it... so i only do it like twice a week.

Also because i hate it, i run hard. I always strive for 1.5 miles in 13-14 minutes. Basically an 8 minute mile. I just want to be done with it.

The app says i burn 300-330 calories if i do that. I'm not eating them back or anything - and don't care - but that seems high. - any runners out there know if that's about right or not?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your weight, it's hard to say. Try putting your info in here and see if it's close: https://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

For what it is worth, I find that Map My Run seems to over-estimate the calories I burn running (but I tend to run longer distances than you, so that may make a difference).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your weight, it's hard to say. Try putting your info in here and see if it's close: https://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

For what it is worth, I find that Map My Run seems to over-estimate the calories I burn running (but I tend to run longer distances than you, so that may make a difference).

I found that as well.
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options

great tool - thanks! That calculator put it (with me being 180 pounds) at 203. That feels like a huge difference!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    work_on_it wrote: »
    So I use Map My Run like twice a work for "required" cardio. I hate it... so i only do it like twice a week.

Also because i hate it, i run hard. I always strive for 1.5 miles in 13-14 minutes. Basically an 8 minute mile. I just want to be done with it.

The app says i burn 300-330 calories if i do that. I'm not eating them back or anything - and don't care - but that seems high. - any runners out there know if that's about right or not?

bodyweight in lbs x 0.63 x distance in miles

so 170 cals if you're 180lbs?
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    That does seem a little high. But why do it if you hate it? I'm sure there are ways to burn 300ish calories that don't make you feel like you're swallowing a bitter pill.
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    That does seem a little high. But why do it if you hate it? I'm sure there are ways to burn 300ish calories that don't make you feel like you're swallowing a bitter pill.

I don't know - i've just never enjoyed running to run. I burn when i lift and that works for me.

There are definite better ways - i love playing basketball or tennis or something like that, but the schedule hasn't allowed that lately, so i've been trying to get a few of these runs in for the heart health and all.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I weigh 133lbs and I find that by most calculators a mile burns around 90 calories no matter if I run or walk it. It's the distance that matters not the speed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    I weigh 133lbs and I find that by most calculators a mile burns around 90 calories no matter if I run or walk it. It's the distance that matters not the speed.

Except standard speed walking is about twice as efficient as standard speed running so walking the distance will be burning approx half the calories as if you ran that distance.

Weight x efficiency ratio x distance.

Common formulae for level ground and "normal" speed ranges are....
    Net Running calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.63) x (Distance in miles)
    Net Walking calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    jesspen91 wrote: »

Except standard speed walking is about twice as efficient as standard speed running so walking the distance will be burning approx half the calories as if you ran that distance.

Weight x efficiency ratio x distance.

Common formulae for level ground and "normal" speed ranges are....
    Net Running calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.63) x (Distance in miles)
    Net Walking calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles)

Exactly right. Note: Normal speed range for running is 5.5-14 mph and for walking is 2-4 mph. Above 4 mph for walking, and below 5.5 mph for running, the calorie burns begin to converge, to the point where walking faster than 5 mph tends to burn as many or more calories than running and running slower than 4.5 mph burn either as little of fewer calories than walking
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »

I don't know - i've just never enjoyed running to run. I burn when i lift and that works for me.

There are definite better ways - i love playing basketball or tennis or something like that, but the schedule hasn't allowed that lately, so i've been trying to get a few of these runs in for the heart health and all.

Is a bike an option? That same effort (8 minute mile) will get you in the ballpark of 25 mph on the flat. That alone is more fun. Plus you'll get your cardio workout, but without the impact.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the "requirement" is but I would suspect it's more than 13 minutes. Most cardio recommendations are for 30 min.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

I"m not trying to convince you to do something you hate, but thinking about ways to reduce your displeasure with running. If your goal is heart health vs performance improvements, then there's no need to pound it out at an 8min/mile pace. Maybe find a more scenic route, listen to music, or talk another gym member into joining you? I do lots of miles and really look forward to the runs I do with other people, since I'm not really focused on the distance or time, but rather the conversation. Of course, cycling or other activities could work...but you know that. Good luck.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...so i've been trying to get a few of these runs in for the heart health and all.

Notwithstanding the points upthread about calorie expenditure, you're going to get very limited CV benefit from thrashing out an 8 minute mile for 15 minutes.

You're in a bit of a no-mans-land of both not long enough for significant aerobic benefit, and too long for anaerobic benefit.