restaurant food

Options
What does anyone do trying to estimate restaurant or take out food calories?

Replies

• thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid both, but look through the list of items on the app and you will find similar things.
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A lot of chains have their info online. For smaller places with no nutrition info, I just use a similar entry.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I log as accurately as I can the majority of the time (double-checking data entries, use the Recipe Builder, weigh solid foods) so that the impact of potential inaccuracies when I'm out won't hit me as hard.

If the restaurant has online information, I'll use that. If not, I'll estimate based on information on similar dishes or my own experience with cooking and logging food.
  • ripper4998
    ripper4998 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I travel alot for my job so what I do is stick to things that I know are lean. Chicken breast and fish are two staples I stick to. Also when I do a salad, I make sure they can take off things I should eat such as fried chicken tenders or other items. Alot of places do have healthy options, you just have to ask.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You can ask the waiter at most restaurants some detailed questions that can help you to log the food. How much this cut of meat weighs, how much pasta is used, what kind of fat this is cooked in, etc.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    I eat out pretty frequently. It can be done. If the restaurant does not have their nutrition information available online I use the nutrition information from a similar chain that does. I try to be very consistent and always use the same entries.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I typically eat half, which works out to be a normal portion. If there is a nutrition entry, I then log half. That way I don't have to carry my weigh scale to the restaurant. The nutrition info on the restaurant's website will also help you pre-plan your choices.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I try to find the nutrition info or find something similar and use that. I've made a point to only eat half of whatever I've ordered (especially if I find myself out to dinner on a non cheat day). I also try to order something reasonably healthy. I skip the bread/appetizers and desserts also. And drink lots of water!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I get their nutrition info online or ask the waitress if there's items that are low carb. Surprisingly, Old Spaghetti Factory only has ONE low carb item on their menu, and it was a side. They make meatballs but they have a ton of bread in them. The only thing I could have there was their broccoli. Their salads were even too high in calories/carbs.

FWIW I really like Jimmy Johns for their unwiches (saves on carbs/cals), Subway salads (double chicken) and bunless burgers from any fast food place. Fairly easy to log those ones and the fast food apps let you customize it to fit your calorie/carb budget.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You can usually find something in the database that’s “close enough” to what you had to count it. There’s a Chinese place that I like that’s a local “mom&pop” place so it isn’t in the database. I just found a “Sesame Chicken” and a “garlic chicken” that seemed to best represent what I had, especially if there’s a “national brand” that has something sort of like it - like Pei Wei or PF CHangs.

There’s no way I can stay away from restaurant food. Just not in the cards for me. SO - I do the best I can with what we’re doing. Tonight, we had McDonald’s. I had a McChicken Sandwich with light mayo and only used half the bun. Saved a few calories there so I could have some fries.

If I am at a steakhouse and really want a burger (I usually get a filet mignon), I will get it without the bun. I’ll give the pickles to my husband and ask for a side of Italian dressing so I can eat the lettuce, tomato, onion like a salad. I’ll will try for a baked potato, but sometimes get fries, and those I don’t want I put on a plate in the center of the table for whoever wants them.

I also order from the kids menu a LOT. I remember going to Olive Garden with people from work. They all cackled when I ordered off the kids menu - I got chicken fettuccini, a side of grapes, and a bowl of the Pasta e Fagiole soup. (That soup is like an Italian chili and is SOOOOOO much healthier for you than a salad because of all the meat/beans in it.). When they got their meals, they got these MASSIVE plates of food and all went, “Oh nooooo....”. I then laughed back.