Benefits of Tracking Food Beyond Weight Loss

Options
Other than better calorie control and therefore weight loss, what benefits do you experience from tracking what you eat?

Replies

• jewelsthomson77
    Options
    Until I started using a Tracker I did not realize that I was not getting enough protein and nutrients in my diet.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm more mindful of what I eat. Tracking everything has really helped me control random snacking and realize how many calories add up from it!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Back about 30+ years ago, I was on weight watchers. They had you track how many servings of fruits/veggies, proteins, fats, etc. every day. I actually lost about 50 pounds - until being a teenager derailed the weight loss train that my mother wanted me to be on.

Every other diet I’ve been on since - including weight watchers, seems to want to count points, or see how much grapefruit you can eat in a day, or cabbage soup or something. It just seemed to make sense to me to know how much of what food groups I was having, and realizing that protein takes longest to digest so the more protein you have, the longer you’ll stay full and won’t be as hungry as often.

I went to a surgeon’s office and started up there intent on getting the lap-band (still haven’t gotten it yet) and met with the nutritionist. That’s where I was told to start logging on MFP. I LOVE MFP. I’m not sure I like a lot of the changes they’ve made, but it’s still working for me so far. THis way, I do know how much protein, fat, carbs, fiber, etc. I’m having and when I’m hungry, I can look at the numbers, and make suitable choices to relieve it. I went on to lose over 100 pounds (and life happened so I gained almost all of it back).

Nevertheless, back on the wagon again.....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Macros
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    1. My A1c is 4.2. Genetically and historically (I was super morbidly obese) I should be diabetic by now.
    2. My blood pressure is now normal, as is my general blood work. No more high cholesterol.
    3. When you pay attention to what you are eating and how much, you have much more energy. You learn what foods feel like fuel and energy, if that makes any sense.
    4. Knowing nutrition information and how it fits into your day makes meal planning much easier. Meal planning makes weight loss much easier.
    5. I'm a cheaper date because I know that an appetizer is usually enough.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My hemoglobin came back at 115 during some bloodwork. For the last six months, I've been tracking my iron intake. (As it turned out, the reading was likely inaccurate. I'd had one reading done two weeks prior to that one as part of a regular physical. I'm also volunteering to participate in a government health survey and they requested I get bloodwork done at one of their locations. My doctor's office usually doesn't call with results unless there's an issue. The govt sent me a copy of the results, including the 115. According to my doctor, my hemoglobin on their test was more like 135.)

I'm a vegetarian and when the subject comes up, there's inevitably someone who asks if I'm sure I'm getting enough iron and protein. So, thanks to tracking, I'm much more confident about replying 'yes', versus, 'I guess so. I mean, no nutrition-related issues, yet.'
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Making better food choices. I eat more protein when I track my food.
  • allangirl
    allangirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I became aware of how little fruit and vegetables I was eating, even though I was staying under calories.
    I feel better when I increase whole foods intake instead of eating Wheat Thins or a Nutrigrain bar.