Teachers?

Options
2»

Replies

• Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a Special Education Ed Tech working mostly with behavioral children on the elementary level. I LOVE my job but with that being said I know how difficult,stressful and exhausting being a teacher is. I have a very easy time losing weight and staying healthy during summer vacation because I'm very active with my own 4 children but when the school year starts, I start putting the weight back on. I think it is mostly because as all of you know we don't always get our lunch breaks and/ or prep periods like we should and so I have to keep a lot of "will travel" foods on hand which aren't as healthy as I would like them to be if I get to eat lunch at all.
    This year I'm going to work even harder to keep the weight off and try not to slide back during the school year. We can do this! Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I tend to find it easy to lose weight/maintain in term time, as I walk to work, move around the class a lot and have to be in different parts of the building at different times. I have colleagues who agree too. The food is excellent and there are always healthy options available, or less healthy if you prefer.

Once the holidays are over, I'll be on maternity leave, when controlling my intake and staying healthy will be far harder than it is at school.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm a special education teacher. If you want a friend, feel free to add me!
  • ypena78
    ypena78 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I too work at a school. Don't worry kindergarten will be fun, different but fun. Remember that you have to have a lot of patience, and you have to remember that they are 5 & 6 yr olds not 8 0r 9.. I have been working with Kindergarteners for 4yrs now .and I love every minute of it. It is an absolute joy. I know how busy it can get especially with all the workshops and classes you need to take not mentioning that every bit of plans you have are 3rd grade, so now you are having to get familiar with kinder, I get it..lol..I know being a teacher sometimes you can get side tracked with all the goodies the kids can bring you, but be strong and you can do this. I am sending you a friend request..Good Luck this year!!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm a college educator and find the faculty room to be the WORST place to be. My colleagues bring in everything from baked goods to fried spaghetti and expect me to share in their gluttony. Ugh!

Mostly I teach from home online, though, and that's good and bad. Bad because I sit for hours at a time behind my pc; good because I can schedule in exercise and kitchen trips.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Teacher here too...do not...I repeat...do NOT eat the cafeteria food!!!!!!

I agree! It is AWFUL in most schools. :noway:

...are you guys under the impression that any of it is food? I've seen custodians unable to get some of the spills off of tables with harsh chemical cleaners, hahaha.

I second that though, bring your own food. Kindergarten is awesome, I'm sure that will be a lot of fun! I'm a pre-k through 8 music teacher. I'm also an avid runner (started last year). Feel free to add me.
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a high school Biology teacher. I've been doing so well this summer and making progress but am worried about keeping it up once the school year starts. I would love some fellow teacher support.
  • doriharvey
    doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a teacher too and teach high school health in addition to a college articulated nutrition class. I was fit and ate very nutritionally until I became a full time teacher and then I sat in front of the computer more and ate alot of fast junk. :-( I started my thoughts of a fitter life last summer and this past May joined MFP, now I'm serious and spent $117 on shoes and a few more on a heart rate monitor..... sounds serious right? :-) I do intend my MFP journey to be a lifetime habit, I'm getting to old to keep going the way I have been the past five years. I just started working towards my first 5K to be eld the first Saturday of October. I am concerned that I will fall backwards come the new school year, would love to add some other like minded teachers for mutual support. Feel free to friends me.
  • adrerock
    adrerock Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a special education teacher. You can add me. :smile: