Are cheat meals necessary?

Options
Are cheat meals necessary in your opinion? I'm starting over and considering not doing a weekend cheat meal. Is that being too strict? I just don't want to slow my progress. And sometimes it's hard for me to stop once I start eating anything unhealthy.

Do you have a weekly cheat meal?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    hdf315 wrote: »
    Are cheat meals necessary in your opinion? I'm starting over and considering not doing a weekend cheat meal. Is that being too strict? I just don't want to slow my progress. And sometimes it's hard for me to stop once I start eating anything unhealthy.

No, I don't have what I consider "cheat meals."

Are you being too strict? Are you eating all foods in moderation or have you eliminated certain things?

Do you consider a restaurant meal a cheat meal? What if that meal is still within your calorie goals?

I make room for a treat everyday. I eat a restaurant meal at least once a week. These things fit my calorie goal.
    I allow myself to go over one day, and then cut back a bit the next.

It's not about being "perfect" it's about making improvements.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Recent study has indicated that eating up at maintenance is useful for several reasons.

If cheat meal allows that then fine, though they tested for 2 week period, not just one meal or day.

But if calling it a "cheat meal" because your "normal" diet meals are so terrible - then adhering to a maintenance level eating after you have lost the weight could hit the norm of gaining the weight back.

Better to make the mind over that this is not cheating, you are only going to eat so much extra and not merely pig all out, and you will plan it well.
  • hdf315
    hdf315 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies!! :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals are for the weak.... it's one thing to go over, it's another to plan to fail. :p:p:p

I bank my calories for the weekend to specifically go over on weekends. Guess I am one huge fail ! ha. :D
  • msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals. When I started MFP, I was going over my calories with meals occasionally, but it just set me back for a few days, so I stopped doing that. It was too frustrating and not worth it. I stay within my calories now and I'm much happier and am steadily losing.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Cheat meals are for the weak.... it's one thing to go over, it's another to plan to fail. :p:p:p

I bank my calories for the weekend to specifically go over on weekends. Guess I am one huge fail ! ha. :D

Yes but that isn't "cheating" though is it since you haven't gone outside your calorie plan.

I don't get the concept of the "cheat meal/day". Why spend all that effort trying to change your life only to "cheat" yourself?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yes but that isn't "cheating" though is it since you haven't gone outside your calorie plan.

I don't get the concept of the "cheat meal/day". Why spend all that effort trying to change your life only to "cheat" yourself?

To be honest I don't even track so who knows what I'm doing .. haha
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

first part of the statement is bull kitten btw...the rest perhaps.

Don't plan a "cheat"...it makes it appear that the food you are eating is bad and you should be ashamed and you shouldn't be.

if makes it seem like this is a short term thing when it should be viewed as a lifetime way of eating.

Look at it this way...if you can't eat the way you are eating now for the rest of your life...change something.

I don't do "cheats"...I do however have treats.

I follow the 80/20 rule...80% of my food is nutrient dense then 20% are well...treats like chips or ice cream or chocolate or vodka *insert big smiley face*

and I do that everyday not just on Fridays or weekends etc.

50+ lbs down and maintaining for over 2 years now.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    hdf315 wrote: »

Cheat meals are not necessary. I have higher calorie days sometimes, I have high calorie foods within my regular calories other times, but neither I consider a cheat.

The bolded may present some of a problem for you in the future, so may be start there instead of thinking cheat meals. If thinking of foods in terms of "healthy" and "unhealthy" causes you to lose control you need to address that, and maybe work on thinking of food as "food" without classifying it. Just normalize it all. If you don't address this issue now how do expect to maintain the weight you are planning to lose? Or are you planning to never ever eat anything "unhealthy"? It would be disheartening to lose the weight only to regain it shortly after because you haven't learned to deal with normal life and all the kinds of foods and food situations it brings.