Are cheat meals necessary?

Options
13»

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I never cheat. How would I cheat? By overeating mindlessly and not logging them and pretend that this did not happen? Well that ostrich attitude got me fat in the first place so no way.
    I have over days - usually carefully planned ahead. Often they are celebration days. They are not cheat meals, but I do consider those days special and can look forward to them for weeks.
    Also as I was losing (In maintenance now) I am always eating at maintenance (more or less) on holidays Not taking a full beak Not going back to the eating as before (as that got me fat) but mindful and balanced with a few more calories.
    For me I found having a short maintenance period and the occasional day over helped me to keep focus and to learn to really enjoy good food instead of eating because it is there
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    When "good" food can taste so great why would I want to cheat?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals are for the weak.... it's one thing to go over, it's another to plan to fail. :p:p:p

It's one thing to eat what you plan to, even if what you plan to eat is more than your goal on a "normal" day. It's another not be able to stick to a plan, agonize in guilt over, label yourself "weak," and decide there's no point in trying.

Well, which is it? If it's not a weakness, is it a reward? Are we like dogs rewarding ourselves with food?
    Keep in mind, we're talking about planned cheats, not slip ups.

lol seriously?

give me one good reason we can't eat whatever we want when we want stay in goal...lose weight and it not be compared to being a dog or being weak?
  • JasonOnceAgain
    JasonOnceAgain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Cheat meals are for the weak.... it's one thing to go over, it's another to plan to fail. :p:p:p

It's one thing to eat what you plan to, even if what you plan to eat is more than your goal on a "normal" day. It's another not be able to stick to a plan, agonize in guilt over, label yourself "weak," and decide there's no point in trying.

Well, which is it? If it's not a weakness, is it a reward? Are we like dogs rewarding ourselves with food?

lol seriously?

give me one good reason we can't eat whatever we want when we want stay in goal...lose weight and it not be compared to being a dog or being weak?

If you're eating within goal you're not "cheating" on your diet, are you? ::eyeroll::
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

lol seriously?

If you're eating within goal you're not "cheating" on your diet, are you? ::eyeroll::

and you aren't a dog for rewarding yourself with food either...

cheat meals are not necessary if you get that you can have treats whenever you want them....you fit them in.

Often times people associate cheat meals with eating food that "is off limits" not going over your target...

*rolls eyes back*

• JasonOnceAgain
    JasonOnceAgain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Note to self... stop feeding the trolls. No matter how well it fits into their macros.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I fit my "cheat meals" into my calories. Mine are usually really salty and carb load. So I stay away from the scale a few days after to let the water retention come off.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I fit my "cheat meals" into my calories. Mine are usually really salty and carb load. So I stay away from the scale a few days after to let the water retention come off.

I rest my case.
  • billyeann90
    billyeann90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No cheat days here!! Only cheating I do is I may get wheat bread instead of lettuce wrap then I feel so guilty and tell myself well I cheated today so I can't do that again tomorrow)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    No cheat days here!! Only cheating I do is I may get wheat bread instead of lettuce wrap then I feel so guilty and tell myself well I cheated today so I can't do that again tomorrow)

I hope this is a joke...really I do.
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    In the evening I enjoy a nice meal of 2,000 calories and I don't consider this cheating. I deliberately eat this many calories so I don't feel the need to 'cheat'
  • jagilmour
    jagilmour Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are cheat meals necessary, technically no. But I do have one cheat/treat meal per week.
    It's usually a meal out, but occasionally one I'll cook.
    If I go out to eat for that 1 meal I don't think about calories or macros, but what i want to eat. Having done this for a couple of months now, tend to lean towards healthier options especially if I'm going to have dessert.
    But I do also make sure I exercise before and have this as my reward, the rest of the week don't tend to eat exercise calories back.
    I've lost a stone (14lbs) in 8weeks so has been working for me, and don't struggle with cravings much anymore, I think the key for me is knowing nothing is completely off limits, knowing I could have it makes me want it less.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Cheat, no. Treat, yes. Treats that fit into my calories, absolutely yes.
  • Jpoirier17
    Jpoirier17 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well if i want to cheat i plan ahead and train for it.. burning an extra 800 calories at the gym and lowering my carb intake for the day so i can have a couple of drinks for a party as an example
  • MizMareedy
    MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    As far as 'cheat days' go - I've not had a true cheat day as in going over my calories by a large amount. This is my 11th day. I have had some not so nutritious foods over the past 11 days - but all in all I'm satisfied. Yesterday, however - I ate particularly unhealthy (but stayed at my calorie goal) - and I was sick to my stomach for the majority of the night. I will not be doing that again. In all honesty I don't know if I ate something bad and that's what caused my issue - but it was enough for me to say I'm not going to eat a hot dog or piece of chocolate cake again for a long time. I am freaking out a bit on how to learn to eat out and stay healthy - pretty hard to do nowadays.