Quinoa daily for 30 days!

Options
2»

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I put Quinoa in my salad almost everyday, but that's just because I like texture. I cook it in chicken or beef broth, which also makes it delicious.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Hmmm have fun with that lol
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Interesting challenge. It's fun to see how creative one can be. Might want to check out Simply Quinoa for some recipe ideas if you haven't already!
  • GailLee4
    GailLee4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I could eat quinoa for 30 days, but it has too many calories per half cup. I love it with stir-fried garlic, onion, zucchini, green pepper, and mushrooms, then throw a little shredded Parmesan cheese into the mix. Yup, I could eat that everyday for 30 days. As it is, I eat lentils everyday for lunch, and quinoa I love much more than lentils, but I get more bang for the calorie buck with lentils.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    somrok wrote: »
    You may want to read The Plant Paradox by Steven Gundry many of these foods that we think of being super healthy- are not including Quinoa and lentils. They really bother the good bacteria in our gut. I would be worried that you could develop stomach problems with eating that much.

You'd worry about someone developing stomach problems from *one serving a day* of quinoa? That seems alarmist. Is that based on any evidence besides Gundry's theories about tomatoes and quinoa and berries being bad for us?
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Jordan029 wrote: »
    Hi! I like the texture of quinoa but don't eat it much and had the thought, 'I'm going to try to eat it everyday for 30 days', I'd love to have anyone who would like to do this join me! Quinoa is a good carb and I find it staves off hunger better than a lot of foods while still being low calorie. The only rule I'm going by is to eat 1 serving of quinoa daily for 30 days(a month), I will check in on here for updates on the journey. Feel free to add me as a friend, my username is jordan029. Most quinoa servings are 1/4 cup dry which makes 1/2 cup cooked for about 150 calories. Flavored or unflavored, on salads or mixed with veggies, or just plain, I'm trying this idea for a month because I think it'll make my diet and hopefully weight loss better. Thanks!

try using it to make congee with it

something like this

https://annascuisine.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/quinoa-congee-soup/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You may want to read The Plant Paradox by Steven Gundry many of these foods that we think of being super healthy- are not including Quinoa and lentils. They really bother the good bacteria in our gut. I would be worried that you could develop stomach problems with eating that much.

Lol...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is not that low cal, so be sure to weigh and log accurately. There are few things except for CHOCOLATE I would eat 30 days in a row. In fact, a square of dark chocolate is fewer calories than 50g of quinoa.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    About the only thing I'd enjoy 30 days in a row is coffee and that's 365/year!

I'm down for this challenge. I think I'll be pretty successful! :D
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa. I rarely eat it though as I find it quite high in calories (and I only like it with olive oil). But picking a random food and eating it for 30 days makes no sense to me. Why not tomatoes then? Or clementines? Must be because of the name...
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Not to derail the OP's discussion, but most of the claims in this book are not referenced, and the ones that are don't offer any support for his claims and/or are misrepresented.

As a supposed acclaimed medical professional, you would think he would know how to site references properly. :/