Not lost any weight!!

Options
So the last couple of months I have been at my lowest! I split up with my OH and moved back in with my mum, over 300miles away. I was eating so much! Around 3000-6000kcal a day! And this was crisps, chocolate a bottle of wine daily! I put on half a stone. Anyway I moved back in with my OH about 3 weeks ago and changed my diet. I'm eating around 1200-2000 kcal a day now. Eating healthier foods, going to fitness classes about 3-5 x a week. I haven't lost any weight whatsoever!! I weigh all my foods out. Etc. I have just come off my period, and thought it may go down, but no!! I weigh myself daily, just to get an average figure and the most it moved was from 185lbs to 185lbs and that was just one day!! Otherwise it hasn't budge! I am eating a ridiculous amount of salt though! Putting it on everything from my veggies to my toast! Could it possibly be water retention?? I am feeling bloated about 70% of the time. Even on a morning before I've eaten anything. Surely even if I was eating 2500 kcal a day I would lose a little weight cos it's still a significant drop from what I was eating!! It's really annoying me now

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    If you're only 185 lbs, 2500 calories is overeating for you. Your maintenance should be about 2000 so if you're looking to loose, you should stick to a goal below that each day, maybe 1750. Of course this all depends on how tall you are. These numbers are assuming you're around 5'8" ish.
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    No I know that. I said I'm eating between 1200 and 2000. Depending on the exercise I do that day. I meant surely even if I was over eating by 500 kcal I still lose a little bit of weight cos it's such a significant drop from 6000. If that makes better sense? ?
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    I'm eating in a deficit daily
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm 186 5'5 and I gotta be pretty strict at staying at or below 1600 calories as well as working out 3-5 days a week for me to see a 1 pound loss a week, and even then I didnt start seeing good consecutive weight loss until about 6 weeks in.

On the note of salt, are you drinking enough water that could help the bloat... and eating less salt.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »

2,000 is a deficit for you? You know this from past experience?
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    I'm eating 1250. If I exercise I eat around 1800. I eat just back my calories. I have done this before and lost a significant amount of weight. But this time the scales aren't budging
  • Jayj180894
    Options

2,000 is a deficit for you? You know this from past experience?

I'm only eating 2000 if I have exercised that day. I only ever eat my calories back what MFP gives me. And I only usually eat 75% back at most
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    Maybe 2000 was an exaggeration. Around 1600 to 1800 on a day of exercise
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    I'm eating 1250. If I exercise I eat around 1800. I eat just back my calories. I have done this before and lost a significant amount of weight. But this time the scales aren't budging

You wrote above "I'm eating around 1200-2000 kcal a day." And you write "Surely even if I was eating 2500 kcal a day . . . " which leads me to believe that maybe your logging isn't as tight as it could be.

If you did this before and lost weight, then keep at it. If you think the salt is an issue leading to temporary water weight and you're unhappy about that, then be more judicious in your salt usage (like, stop putting it on toast).

I meant more hyperthetical. IF I was eating 2500 surely a drop from 6000 there would be some change. Buy maybe not as some explained above
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    And yea between 1200 and 2000 is still deficit. Some days I eat more some days I don't?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You wrote above "I'm eating around 1200-2000 kcal a day." And you write "Surely even if I was eating 2500 kcal a day . . . " which leads me to believe that maybe your logging isn't as tight as it could be.

If you did this before and lost weight, then keep at it. If you think the salt is an issue leading to temporary water weight and you're unhappy about that, then be more judicious in your salt usage (like, stop putting it on toast).

I meant more hyperthetical. IF I was eating 2500 surely a drop from 6000 there would be some change. Buy maybe not as some explained above

If you were eating 2,500 and that was a deficit for you, you would lose weight. If you were eating 2,500 and that wasn't a deficit, you wouldn't lose weight (even if it is less than you were eating before).

A deficit is what creates weight loss, not just reducing the calories you eat.

So if you are confident that you are at a deficit, keep at it. If you still don't lose, then you will know that you aren't and you can reduce your calories accordingly.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    corgarian wrote: »
    If you eat less, but still over maintenance, you wont lose weight. You will just gain weight slower. Key is finding out where your numbers are and there are a lot of decent calculators out there for that.

I didn't know that. I'd of thought you'd lose a little. But that was a hyperthetical situation away. I'm on the goal of losing 2 lbs a week atm. MFP has given me 1250 to eat daily. Unless I burn calories then I eat them back. I.E 2 hours swimming Id eat another 250 on top, depending on what MFP says
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food intake and your exercise burns? Unfortunately it's very easy to underestimate how many calories you consume and/or overestimate how many you burn. That could potentially have an impact on your weight loss.

Additionally, starting a new exercise regime can lead to (temporary) water retention while your muscles repair. Combined with a high sodium intake, water weight could be masking some fat loss.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    32hw66r2mm63.jpg

This may be helpful to you as well. Maybe try to not eat your exercise calories back for a week or two and see how it goes. If you're varying your calories as much as it seems, maybe 2lbs/week is not sustainable for you... that's usually something that people with over 100 lbs to lose aim for. At 185, maybe lower your weekly goal to 1-1.5lbs.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    How are you measuring your food intake and your exercise burns? Unfortunately it's very easy to underestimate how many calories you consume and/or overestimate how many you burn. That could potentially have an impact on your weight loss.

Additionally, starting a new exercise regime can lead to (temporary) water retention while your muscles repair. Combined with a high sodium intake, water weight could be masking some fat loss.

I just weigh everything. I do also weigh my butter or oil I'm using. I do think I am very accurate. I have just started aqua arobics, kettlebell classes and spin in the space of 2 weeks. I'll leave it a week longer cut my sodium intake, drink more water, see what happens. Thanks