Is it just me or is the sugar allowance a little silly?

Options
lcyfrn
lcyfrn Posts: 121 Member
I've worked out that if I were to eat 2 apples in a day then I would be over my allowance :s It seems silly to me!

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It's not just you. It's set to the general recommendations for *added* sugar.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a joke. I ignore it.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I ignore it - I eat a lot of fruit - I'm always way over!
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I stopped it showing on my diary, it was making me feel bad on days I thought I had been good!
  • DomVitagliano
    Options
    Yeah I agree, it's not just you, I have already limited my sugar and I'm still over and I'm not using artificial sweetener. It's just not right :)
  • _Moose51_
    _Moose51_ Posts: 86
    Options
    I think it's meant for processed sugar, however I believe you have to go easy on fruit. Like anything, don't over do it.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I stopped it showing on my diary, it was making me feel bad on days I thought I had been good!

Me too!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    It's so low! I took it off and replaced it with fiber. I eat a lot of fruit and I hate that red color except in fiber and protein.
  • Anakin14
    Anakin14 Posts: 9
    Options
    I am gonna take it off - I thought I was just eating too much sugar - clearly not just me!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think it's meant for processed sugar, however I believe you have to go easy on fruit. Like anything, don't over do it.
    It's pretty hard to do that, as far as having it cause your diet to be bad. It generally start doing things to your digestion way before it gives you too many calories and natural sugar. That keeps me in line...

Another vote for ignoring it as used in the MFP total.
  • lcyfrn
    lcyfrn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've removed it now, thanks everyone! :)
  • levelene2
    levelene2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like to keep track of my sugar because type II Diabetes runs in my family. At the end of my day, I look at the numbers and subtract the amount of sugar that comes from fruit to get an idea where I was at for added sugar. It's still red, but that isnt a huge deal to me.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I eat anything up to 250g of sugar a day from Ice Cream and whatever else, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a medical reason to
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    Yes. Thats one of the few complaints i have about mfp. U eat a couple pieces of fruot n sugar is over limit! Ridiculous.
  • Tiramisu1
    Tiramisu1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I swapped the sugar tracker out for the potassium, as it is something I need for a medical condition. The sugar tracker bothered me, too, since it seems it takes so little to go over.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    For the purposes of weight loss, you don't need to track sugar separately from carbs, even if you have diabetes. Your body turns carbs into glucose in your bloodstream. The magic of enzymes.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I like to keep track of my sugar because type II Diabetes runs in my family. At the end of my day, I look at the numbers and subtract the amount of sugar that comes from fruit to get an idea where I was at for added sugar. It's still red, but that isnt a huge deal to me.

I should try that too... not that I'm eating much fruit atm, but might make me feel better, lol.

But I'm in the same situation, where diabetes runs in my family. I've been told (in the forums, not by a doc) that watching overall carbs is better than watching sugar. I haven't looked into it yet (keep forgetting :( ) so right now I'm watching both.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I removed that from my log. I use flavored coffee creamer and eat fruit every day and was way over. I personally don't need to track sugar for health reasons and it was driving me crazy seeing the high numbers.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's the only macro default that MFP got right. But if eating lots of fruit works for you, then EAT it. You can choose to show something else if you want to ignore sugar. Go to diary settings.
  • harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think I will remove mine also, I like to have an apple and a banana most days and yes it goes over on the sugar, always makes me feel like I have done something wrong when I see it go into the red and minus