Has anyone ever had ankle arthroskopy ?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I am going to have one soon because of arthritis and wondering if anyone has recovery experience?

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I had an osteochondral defect in my ankle from multiple sprains during a short period of time. This is basically having bone fragments within the joint of my ankle that were causing me pain. I had arthroskopy surgery on it in March of 2016.

For me, that surgery was one of the worst things to happen to me. Before, sure my ankle hurt sometimes depending on how i was working it, but now I have terrible pressure and pain inside the joint of my ankle daily. It's usually the worst at work when I'm sitting for a while and then need to walk somewhere. the first 50-100 feet are murder. That being said, this surgery is meant for small to medium defects, and mine was a large one so there was a chance the surgery would not work and at this point in time I have no desire for the secondary surgery (they crack open my ankle joint and put in a cadaver bone, no thanks)

Currently I cannot run more than a few blocks at a time which is fine with me i'd rather die than run. I do low impact cardio and lift weights. The worst thing is my roller derby career is over and I just have to suck that up.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Best advice is to not rush the recovery! you will be non weight bearing for probably 6 weeks and in a boot for another 6 weeks. do your rehab and dont rush the ankle!!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Right ankle 15 years ago. It was *kitten* horrible. I was in rehab for a good 8 months. I cannot run without pain still and the longest I can walk is around 5 km without pain. Did 7 km on Sunday and had to R.I.C.E. after.

Now the positive side I had to have it done. I was spraining my ankle ever month or 2 for a couple of years and I haven’t sprained it since the surgery. While in rehab I was the worst on recovery and others had a much easier time. A few were able to stay active duty even with a 5km run multiple times a week. Oh and I can still squat with 325 for reps and increasing!

We are all different and I hope you are one of those that it’s a complete success.