Opinion on calories (they seem way too high?)

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I ate at my schools open eating area today (college) where it's basically buffet style. I had a very, very small slice of broccoli hummus pizza. First of all, there was barely any (plainish) hummus on it lol probably 20g of it which I think can't be more than 50 calories. The slice was literally less than 1/2 a slice of little caesars pizza. It was about 2 inch wide at the top (triangle shaped) and maybe 4 in long (getting much smaller as it went down to the end). There wasn't even a full piece of broccoli on it or and not much cheese. The calories? On the paper it said 450-500 calories per slice. Little caesars is like 250-400 and way bigger, with way more cheese and toppings. The bread didn't seem like anything special based on the ingredients and it was vegan. Thoughts? Do you think I'm nuts to think they were off? I'm wondering if that was meant to be for 1/8 of a pizza because it didn't have grams listed and it was probably cut into like 20 very tiny slices lol

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hummus is calorie dense. Example: My homemade -- where I know precisely what's in it, and I'm 90 percent sure it's lower fat than storebought -- is 171 calories for 55 gm. And 55 gm doesn't go nearly as far as you'd think.

Who made the paper? If it's from your college, considering that they *made* the pizza, I'd go with what they said. OTOH, you're right that it is likely per slice. But, do you know how many slices they served, based on a whole pizza?
  • Verity1111
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hummus is calorie dense. Example: My homemade -- where I know precisely what's in it, and I'm 90 percent sure it's lower fat than storebought -- is 171 calories for 55 gm. And 55 gm doesn't go nearly as far as you'd think.

Who made the paper? If it's from your college, considering that they *made* the pizza, I'd go with what they said. OTOH, you're right that it is likely per slice. But, do you know how many slices they served, based on a whole pizza?
    What does OTOH mean? Slices it was probably a 14 or 16in pizza cut into between 16-20 pieces. Now that I rethink about it...they were also uneven in size which is like??? how can I estimate calories that way? I took one of the two smaller slices but still.... Yeah I mean there was literally about 20g tho and even if you go with your hummus it's 63 or so calories. I'd estimate the entire slice of pizza at *maybe* 100-120 grams. Definitely no more than that. 500 calories seems a bit off. Esp since the "cheese" was vegan and there was barely on of it. lol. Maybe my slice was smaller than they are meant to be? IDK but I eat a heck of a lot of pizza (in Chicago and just plain addicted to it) and in my experience, 100 grams of pizza is usually 150-350 calories. But thanks for sharing the stats on the hummus! That helps too and I dont eat it often. Still only like 13 grams more than I would expect. I dont know who made that card.... Also I dont know if its made from scratch. Pretty sure it was a frozen pizza of some sort that they have specially delivered because the people behind the counter didnt seem to be doing anything fancy. haha.

On a side note they made the most delicious vegan (or vegetarian) split pea soup I have ever had. God I want more of that stuff. And it said 100 calories per 6 oz. Hopefully thats at least right... because it was really really good and I want more. lol
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    OTOH = on the other hand
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You've been at this awhile and you weigh your food. I think you should use your best judgement.

By the way, vegan substitutes don't necessarily have less calories though.
  • Verity1111
    edited September 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    You've been at this awhile and you weigh your food. I think you should use your best judgement.

This is true. But there wasn't much there. Unless they mislabeled it as vegan? and it was vegetarian. It tasted like cheese but there wasnt much of it on there lol maybe 1/2 of a usual serving size of shredded cheese. Yeah I weigh my food a lot. Thank you for your input :)
  • Verity1111
    Options

Also Im very jealous of how in shape you are lol
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

What does OTOH mean? Slices it was probably a 14 or 16in pizza cut into between 16-20 pieces. Now that I rethink about it...they were also uneven in size which is like??? how can I estimate calories that way? I took one of the two smaller slices but still.... Yeah I mean there was literally about 20g tho and even if you go with your hummus it's 63 or so calories. I'd estimate the entire slice of pizza at *maybe* 100-120 grams. Definitely no more than that. 500 calories seems a bit off. Esp since the "cheese" was vegan and there was barely on of it. lol. Maybe my slice was smaller than they are meant to be? IDK but I eat a heck of a lot of pizza (in Chicago and just plain addicted to it) and in my experience, 100 grams of pizza is usually 150-350 calories. But thanks for sharing the stats on the hummus! That helps too and I dont eat it often. Still only like 13 grams more than I would expect. I dont know who made that card.... Also I dont know if its made from scratch. Pretty sure it was a frozen pizza of some sort that they have specially delivered because the people behind the counter didnt seem to be doing anything fancy. haha.

On a side note they made the most delicious vegan (or vegetarian) split pea soup I have ever had. God I want more of that stuff. And it said 100 calories per 6 oz. Hopefully thats at least right... because it was really really good and I want more. lol

In the original post, you said the slice was four inches long. The length of a slice from a round pizza is the radius, so that would be an 8-inch pizza. Now you're saying it was probably a 14 or 16-inch pizza. That's a pretty big difference.

Consider the possibility that your estimating skills aren't dependable.

My other thought was that the dough might be nut-based (given the unconventionality of the other toppings), which would be more calorie-dense than a flour-based dough.

ETA:
    Also I dont know if its made from scratch. Pretty sure it was a frozen pizza of some sort that they have specially delivered because the people behind the counter didnt seem to be doing anything fancy.

Did the card listing the nutrition information indicate what portion of the pizza was a serving? If it's frozen, they may just have copied the nutrition information from the box, but then they cut it into more pieces than would be indicated for the nutrition information.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Also Im very jealous of how in shape you are lol

eh it comes and goes. I started where many people start off too :)
  • Verity1111
    edited September 2017
    Options

In the original post, you said the slice was four inches long. The length of a slice from a round pizza is the radius, so that would be an 8-inch pizza. Now you're saying it was probably a 14 or 16-inch pizza. That's a pretty big difference.

Consider the possibility that your estimating skills aren't dependable.

My other thought was that the dough might be nut-based (given the unconventionality of the other toppings), which would be more calorie-dense than a flour-based dough.

ETA:
    Also I dont know if its made from scratch. Pretty sure it was a frozen pizza of some sort that they have specially delivered because the people behind the counter didnt seem to be doing anything fancy.

Did the card listing the nutrition information indicate what portion of the pizza was a serving? If it's frozen, they may just have copied the nutrition information from the box, but then they cut it into more pieces than would be indicated for the nutrition information.

I also said the slices were different sizes. My slice was not even half the size of some of the other slices. I know how big 4 inches is. lol. There was one even smaller than mine but it was like the size of a short breadstick Lol. They were probably the worst cut pizza slices Ive ever seen. Never had nut based dough but it wasnt in the ingredients for allergens.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I ate at my schools open eating area today (college) where it's basically buffet style. I had a very, very small slice of broccoli hummus pizza. First of all, there was barely any (plainish) hummus on it lol probably 20g of it which I think can't be more than 50 calories. The slice was literally less than 1/2 a slice of little caesars pizza. It was about 2 inch wide at the top (triangle shaped) and maybe 4 in long (getting much smaller as it went down to the end). There wasn't even a full piece of broccoli on it or and not much cheese. The calories? On the paper it said 450-500 calories per slice. Little caesars is like 250-400 and way bigger, with way more cheese and toppings. The bread didn't seem like anything special based on the ingredients and it was vegan. Thoughts? Do you think I'm nuts to think they were off? I'm wondering if that was meant to be for 1/8 of a pizza because it didn't have grams listed and it was probably cut into like 20 very tiny slices lol

I would log about 300 calories.
    Size doesn't indicate what the calories were of the ingredients. They might have more oil in their hummus or crust than another place. Hard to say. Usually best to log a higher amount and be wrong than underestimate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This is true. But there wasn't much there. Unless they mislabeled it as vegan? and it was vegetarian. It tasted like cheese but there wasnt much of it on there lol maybe 1/2 of a usual serving size of shredded cheese. Yeah I weigh my food a lot. Thank you for your input :)

Vegan bread (or pizza crust) probably isn't going to have fewer calories than non-vegan bread. I wouldn't assume that a non-vegan pizza had fewer calories just because the crust was vegan.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2017
    Options

Vegan bread (or pizza crust) probably isn't going to have fewer calories than non-vegan bread. I wouldn't assume that a non-vegan pizza had fewer calories just because the crust was vegan.

I meant lower calories for Vegan as in there was little to no cheese. Not the crust! Anyway it ended up working out obviously since my weight went down not up so I guess it didnt make much dif lol
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A pizza could easily have more calories in its crust than in its cheese. Bread (or pizza crust) is usually 75-100 calories/ounce. The various kinds of cheese on a pizza range from about 70-110 calories per ounce.