Cardio vs weightlifting

Options
awoodnyc
awoodnyc Posts: 33 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I want to lose 40lbs and then focus on toning and muscle definition afterward.
Anyone have success with this?
Should I be focusing mostly on cardio with a little weightlifting??? Or is doing too much cardio not the best way to get there?
I'm 5'3 & 162 lbs
I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for the past month, and have seen fair moderate results.

Replies

• bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yes, strength training (with adequate dietary protein) will help preserve muscle mass.
    Not sure if you meant it this way, but muscles cannot be "toned". Tone/definition only comes from losing fat and building muscle.
  • awoodnyc
    awoodnyc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In the absence of resistance training during dieting, you will lose more muscle mass than you otherwise would. Most people who go the route you're talking about are sorely disappointed in the end because they lose a lot of muscle mass. A good balance between the two would be optimal.

Structured full body program 2-3x per week and moderate cardio 3-4x per week.

Your weight loss is going to be attributable to your calorie deficit, not the exercise you do. I ride 50+ miles per week and more when I'm training and I lift 2-3x per week...I'm in maintenance and I maintain my weight because I eat maintenance calories.

Your fitness activities should ultimately revolve around your fitness aspirations, not your weight loss aspirations..

Thank you for the insight! I will aim for the weekly examples you gave me!
    Getting healthy, is getting healthy. It doesn't matter if it's for fitness aspirations or aesthetic aspirations. Mine are aesthetic right now.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Your fitness activities should ultimately revolve around your fitness aspirations, not your weight loss aspirations..

^^ The gold nugget from that post.

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Getting healthy, is getting healthy. It doesn't matter if it's for fitness aspirations or aesthetic aspirations. Mine are aesthetic right now.

The good part is that you can do them together. Muscle preservation is going to 1) give you the aesthetic shape you want and 2) help your fitness.

Strength training is a double win.
  • sarahann104
    sarahann104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I try to do both, Cardio at the gym (4-5 times a week) and I use fitness blender workouts (5 - 6 times a week) at home for strength training and toning.
    I'm not confidant using the weight machines at the gym, and find fitness blender have some great workouts for this at home :) I can get help with them at the gym but would rather this part be done at home.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Do both. The lifting builds your muscle which in turn raises your metabolism so you're actually burning more calories when you're at rest. You'll also be toning and changing your body while the cardio is melting the fat off so you'll see and feel the results faster.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I do both...3x a week i do strength training circuits with 20 minutes of additional cardio. I do just cardio the other days.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started at 163. Similar stats.

I did minimal cardio and all weight lifting for the results I wanted...which was a defined, strong, better than average body.
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Use your diet to lose the fat. Lift weights to retain or hopefully add a little muscle. Think of cardio as a workout for your heart and lungs and leave room to up it when you really want to get lean.

Since youre at the minimum suggested calorie intake just make sure you're eating those exercise calories back and before you know it you'll be ripped
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    In the absence of resistance training during dieting, you will lose more muscle mass than you otherwise would. Most people who go the route you're talking about are sorely disappointed in the end because they lose a lot of muscle mass. A good balance between the two would be optimal.

Structured full body program 2-3x per week and moderate cardio 3-4x per week.

Your weight loss is going to be attributable to your calorie deficit, not the exercise you do. I ride 50+ miles per week and more when I'm training and I lift 2-3x per week...I'm in maintenance and I maintain my weight because I eat maintenance calories.

Thank you for the insight! I will aim for the weekly examples you gave me!

All the more reason you should focus on a good strength training program.