Options
2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    anybeary wrote: »
    THIS:
    depends on how new you are to weight lifting plus the amount of body fat you have. if you are new to the gym or have higher body fat you can lose fat and build muscle through body recomposition which they are finding is more and more scientifically proven.

If you have body fat to lose, you don't need to eat extra calories to put on muscle (because your body already has the calories available in fat reserves). I've been doing it myself for the past four months and recomp is working for me.

Only for a short period of time can you build muscle while in deficit. The conditions this can happen under is if obsese, if new to weight training, if returning to weight training after a layoff.

Recomp is to eat a maintenance and weight train. You will slowly lose fat and gain muscle.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    catsislife wrote: »
    Low fat diet. 51-20 reps working out on everything(don't go below 15) and bout 2500-3000 calories will make u build muscle n lose fat at same time. 1-1.6 grams protein a day per pound of ur body weight and make sure u get those calories from low fat foods. Cut down on sugar n cut out fries

Good god..there is a whole lot of nope in that paragraph.

It is generally recommended to lift HEAVY. High reps are supposed to be good for endurance, but generally not recommended as best for strength and muscle building since it means having to drop the weight down (a lot) to accomplish the extra reps.

Unless the OP is an active male or very active female or morbidly obese, 3000 calories is pretty unlikely to result in weight loss (or maintenance).

Not a ridiculously high level of protein compared to others I've seen on here, but definitely significantly higher than what is usually recommended as a minimum.

And fat and sugar are fine if they aren't crowding out protein. And a certain amount of fat is required by the body to work correctly.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I follow a flexible diet way of eating. In other words, there is structured flexibility in what I eat. I do not cut out anything.....like NOTHING.....unless I have experience with that specific food item and know that there is an issue (like milk, for example.....for me, anyway).

I maintain my caloric intake and macro-nutrient numbers like a budget. Now, I am not talking about IIFYM (If it fits your macros). I want to be able to do this for a long time (as in - as long as I am able to breath). So, it is all about sustainability. If I deny myself things - just because it is "bad food" (whatever that means.....lots of people have lots of ideas as to what 'bad food' could be....for me, as mentioned, Milk qualifies as 'bad food' - then I will very likely fail one day because I will come to despise the day.

And my caloric intake will be specific to me.....so, if you are a 50yo male that is 6'0" tall and weighs 206lbs and you are "light exercise" (according to all of the PALs) then whatever a calculator might suggest would be a good starting point. The one that I use shows me at 2,520. Is the person who made the post a 50yo male who is 6'0" tall and weighs 206lbs? I do not see her stats in any post. Now, that does not mean that you do not know them (maybe you two are 'friends' here in mfp?

Different Rep Ranges - along with the associated 'weight' - have different purposes. As others have mentioned. So, whatever rep range | weight one selects will likely coincide with one's goals. That is the assumption, right? So, 15 - 20 reps might work. Do we know the goals of the person doing that 15 - 20 reps? Sure, there are programs out there that pair a strength day (so, 5 sets of 5 reps at a higher weight) with a hypertrophy day (so, 3 sets of 15 reps at a significantly lower weight) in the same week | for the same body part to balance things out. Again, does that fit the goals of the person do this?

Again, @catsislife - no disrespect intended. We all see that you are trying to help. :smiley:
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Oh....and the suggested protein values of 1.0g - 1.6g are way too high. In a maintenance, consuming more protein might be useful (especially at my advanced age of 50).....it is also recommended to increase the protein value when you are cutting. But that number is usually about 1g of protein per lean pound. More protein is not "more betterer". There is a point of diminishing return. And for us normal folks (read: not professional athletes) that is around 1g/lean pound. Roughly. More than that and - to be honest - all you have is expensive urine (I can not claim that line....someone else in one of these forums said that first...I am just "borrowing it" for this post)..

Again, @catsislife - no disrespect intended.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies...I did not realize I couldn't really build muscle while losing so I will just work to maintain what I have and hopefully build muscle after lose the amount of fat I hope to lose.
  • Carlo_casti1993
    Carlo_casti1993 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Grams per body weight space out thru day so you don't poop back out drink water