Plant diet.

Options
I'm not going completely vegan but I'm going over to more if a plant diet. Today I notice I was getting enough carbs and I need to know substitutes to bread and pasta. Fruits should help but what about proteins?

Replies

• tannic2k7
    tannic2k7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Any particular type of beans?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Google. Lots of great info out there.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    tannic2k7 wrote: »
    Any particular type of beans?

Lentils, black beans, kidney and navy. I find red lentils have a milder flavor than green ones. They don't really over power your dishes.

https://rebeldietitian.us/plant-based-protein-charts/
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I remember watching this. https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZbPjIoqhAuE I saw find the beans that you enjoy eating. I know I despise peas, so I suggest just buying small quantities to find what what you like best.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I made this the other day (except with white potatoes because I hate sweet potatoes) and it was really good and kept me full for hours. Any beans and lentils should be high in protein if you aren't planning on buying specialized vegan proteins like seitan, tofu...etc.
  • tannic2k7
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

As I go about this change, fat content is down but I need to get the protein up. I'm on the vega All in One; surprisingly good.

Does pasta fit in on the plant diet?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

As I go about this change, fat content is down but I need to get the protein up. I'm on the vega All in One; surprisingly good.

Pasta is made from wheat? Why wouldn't it? The only reason I can think to avoid a pasta is if it contains eggs and you're vegan, but not all pasta contains eggs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Pasta (except if made with eggs or you put dairy or eggs in the sauce, or have it with meat) is a plant-based food, sure. It's basically flour (wheat) and water. Whether it fits in on "the plant diet" depends on what the plant diet is for you.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Mung beans are tiny and cook fast like lentils. You can mix them with rice and they cook in the same amount of time, but they increase the protein and fiber of the overall dish.
    (Like this:https://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2010/06/rice-with-mung-beans-maash-polow.html)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

Check the label for eggs (they're included in some pasta). If they aren't there and there aren't any other animal products in it, you're good to go.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I sometimes buy a corn pasta that only has 2 ingredients (cornstarch and water) so that would be entirely vegan! I like it because it is super cheap and tastes good with most sauces.
  • tannic2k7
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Thank you everyone.

Pasta is made from wheat? Why wouldn't it? The only reason I can think to avoid a pasta is if it contains eggs and you're vegan, but not all pasta contains eggs.

Check the label for eggs (they're included in some pasta). If they aren't there and there aren't any other animal products in it, you're good to go.

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Pasta (except if made with eggs or you put dairy or eggs in the sauce, or have it with meat) is a plant-based food, sure. It's basically flour (wheat) and water. Whether it fits in on "the plant diet" depends on what the plant diet is for you.

All suggestions are good.

I'm not all vegan however I'm eating more towards that diet so I can reduce the consumption of animal fat. I've recently started drinking a plant based protein shake; surprisingly good. Eating more salads but after day 2 I notice I was tired since I wasn't getting enough carbs. I know pasta is a good source for carbs which is the reason for the question. These are all good.

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Google. Lots of great info out there.

Sorcery!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

Honestly if you have to ask if wheat is vegan or fits a plant lifestyle you need to spend an awful lot longer researching a vegan lifestyle otherwise you are going to get sick very quickly.

I agree that people new to a plant-based diet/veganism should do some research, but I also think it's okay to use other plant-based/vegan people online as a resource. It's really common for new plant-based/vegan people to be unsure if something is plant-based/vegan -- reading labels isn't something we're born being good at.
  • tannic2k7
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I can research this topic all day and still be confused.

I was asking to see if the little things like reading the label.

Enough. Fine. I'll find the time to look into it. I won't respond to this thread.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My local Wal-Mart offers a selection of fake pastas made from various beans. Check yours.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I can research this topic all day and still be confused.

I was asking to see if the little things like reading the label.

Enough. Fine. I'll find the time to look into it. I won't respond to this thread.

Don't be discouraged. There are plenty of people here who are happy to help you get the hang of it.