NSV: Figured out how to measure recipe portion sizes! I should not be this proud.

Options
2»

Replies

• ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It really wouldn't matter if you're the only one eating that meal. The calories would add up to the total of the calories in the recipe anyway. Your method has problems only if you're cooking for a family (not to mention that you would be robbing some of your family members of their full portion like in the pork example you would eat 4 oz and leave 3 family members with 8 oz to split).

Well it depends how you are tracking them. In my exampke, suppose the 1000 gram weight corresponds to 4 servings of 250 grams. Your cook weight is 750 grams. You measure out 250 grams and log one serving. Do that again for lunch. Do that again for dinner. You've now eaten the whole thing but only 3 of the 4 servings you thought you had. So you've not logged 25% of the total calories.
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options

So, next question...how can one account for this? Weighing my food-loaded pots etc is not really an an option. So, any other suggestions?

You can individually portion your cooked dish roughly by eye and weigh each portion as you do this. If one box ends up more or less heavy you can scoot food from a heavy box to a light box to make them equal. You can do this as you go, or you can write down all the weights and do it at the end.
    You can then add up all the weights to get the cooked total. Divide by the number of servings and that is the mass you should have per box. (Then you have your cooked weight for a serving for the next time you cook this also ) Go back and readjust so each box has that weight.

If you use the same style of plastic box then you can use the same tare weight for all.

• Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I weigh total cooked recipe and then put the number of servings as however many oz the total is. Then I weigh out however much I want for a meal and log accordingly. That way I can eat more one day, less the next, etc.