Nutella is bad food ?

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Mmmmmm. . . nutella is so good. Kroger has a "crunchy" version that is amazing!!!!

It may not be the healthiest food, but I think we need to get away from the good and bad, black and white food labeling.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Stir a spoonful into plain Greek yogurt - delicious! :love:

Oooohhhh...sounds delish!! Never thought of this ;)
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member

If you want a somewhat healthy option, buy a low sugar, high cacao dark chocolate bar that has hazelnuts in it and breaks into squares, or buy plain hazelnut butter, no salt or sugar added, and mix it in a food processor with very low sugar, high cacao dark chocolate and maybe a couple of dates (for natural sweetness) and make your own spread.

The philosophy that has been working for me is to eat a moderate serving of the food that I really want. I want to have a tablespoon of the most delicious option on my small bowl of high fat yogurt, and then stop. I don't want to eat something I don't even like and pretend that it's a treat.

I like high cacao, low sugar, dark chocolate and hazelnuts/ hazelnut butter... I wasn't suggesting something that I don't like and "pretending it's a treat". I think most candy has WAY too much sugar and low quality fillers. It tastes like crap to me. Honestly, I'd be surprised if someone tried this and didn't like it as much or better.

I don't eat anything I don't like. I'm okay with Nutella, but my version is better and healthier. I think things like snickers bars are gross. They don't even taste like chocolate.

For health reasons, I cut most of the processed sugar and corn syrup from my diet (I never ate a lot of it anyway) years ago. After a couple of pretty easy months without, even attempting to eat it made me want to gag. Nutella is decent, but most candy in this country doesn't even taste good. It's terrible and anytime I eat a little, I wonder why I wasted the calories on something I didn't enjoy when I could have had a real treat. People have learned to like this stuff over years of eating enough junk to be desensitized to it. It's not even so much liking it, as it is an addiction. If you gave a Hershey's bar to someone who grew up on real foods, including treats like homemade baked goods, good chocolate, etc, they would spit it in your face. It doesn't taste like a treat. It doesn't even taste like food.

If I am going to spend 190 calories on a treat (because really, who eats less than 2 tablespoons of Nutella), it is going to be the best treat I can get. In my mind, the suggestion I gave is not only healthier, but tastier. If the OP disagrees, that's fine, as long as he/she is not actually thinking that Nutella is a healthy choice as opposed to a treat, which it seems like he was.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth is that it is delicious and makes a wonderful mousse. No other info needed.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    OMG please tell me this question and thread does not exist.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Sorry if others have already posted this; I'm too lazy to read through 3 pages of replies. I agree with those who are saying that no food is a bad food (and even agree re: the sardine exception... bleccchhh!); Nutella is delicious, but is also chock full o' sugar. It's basically chocolate hazelnut frosting. Delicious... chocolate... hazelnut... frosting.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :laugh:

I switched to Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter a couple years ago - still delicious (and still perhaps not exactly a health food!), but 60% less sugar. Give it a try! They've got other really yummy nut butters, too... love their Maple Almond Butter.

OK - back to work I go!
  • Nutella is processed and all-sugar... It's not healthy AT ALL, but I suppose you only live once, and if you like eating Nutella, great for you. Overall, sugar that's not natural will not aid in weight loss whatsoever. Having a little bit won't kill you, though, but sugars do get addictive.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    I don't care if nutella is a bad food, it's my life.

I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT NUTELLA.

Ok, it's horrifyingly high in calories, fat and above all, sugar, but its sooooo worth it.
  • unoriginalusername007
    unoriginalusername007 Posts: 83 Member
    If I had the choice of 2 tablespoons of Nutella vs 2 tablespoons of PB, the healthier choice would be to eat the peanut butter. Nutella packs healthy fats since it's made of hazelnut, a type of nut, however, as others have said the protein content is much lower, and the sugar content is much higher. The calories you get from Nutella are emptier calories compared to PB, since there just sin't as much nutrition with Nutella. Nutella's great in moderation though, but it's not necessarily as healthy as the commercials make it sound.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    "Bad" food?

Did Nutella kick a puppy dog?
    Did Nutella get anyone fired from their job?
    Did Nutella sleep with someone else's partner?

No?

Then no, Nutella is not a "bad" food. Eating Nutella by the jarful every day might be a bad practice, however.

....i could get fired for Nutella addiction...

I would chose nutella over a lover. I would have an affair with nutella.
  • After a whole year of not buying Nutella because I am highly addicted to it...I thought I now had the willpower to do so.

I bought a jar a week ago. I had to throw it away since I could not control myself.

I would literally wake up at 3 am to sneak some....

I cant buy oreos either
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    I think it just depends really. If a little spoon of nutella keeps you from downing hershey bars, then that makes sense. If one little bite leads to eating the whole jar, then that does not make sense. Use your own judgement and personal experience on whether or not you can handle nutella.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    For me, it is bad. It is like a trigger food for me, and since my fiance doesn't care for it... I have the jar all to myself, which can be BAD. So I no longer buy it. I may want it, but will not buy it anymore. If I buy a chocolate butter of any sort, it's made by Justin's.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Nutella is yummy! My favorite snack is spreading it on a graham cracker. It is good, if you make the snack and then out the container away...lol. Do not have it close to you with a spoon. ;)
  • sunshinerawr
    sunshinerawr Posts: 12 Member
    i dont think it is healthy. it is full of fat. just like peanut butter. if you eat it, that better be the most fat you eat that day
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    its gross.
    yuk
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    who eats less than 2 tablespoons of Nutella

That would be me.

P.S. Dark chocolate and dates don't even begin to approximate the perfect texture of Nutella. It's gianduja in spreadable form. All the rest of that stuff you said about corn syrup and American candy is irrelevant to Nutella.
  • Nutella is good in moderation. But very high calorie. I have found Philadelphia Cream Cheese makes a product called Snack Delights that you can get in milk chocolate flavor. It only has 110 calories in the same serving size as opposed to 200 in Nutella. And it tastes great.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Nutella is mostly palm oil and sugar, so if you define "bad food" as "food with little nutritional value," then yes, it is bad.
    If you would like something a tiny bit healthier, but still delicious and calorie-dense, I really enjoy Peanut Butter &Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams. The flavour profile is similar, but with peanut butter over the palm oil.

"Little nutritional value?"

Nutrition Facts
    For a Serving Size of 1 serving 2 TBSP (37g)
    Calories 199 Calories from Fat 99 (49.7%)
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 11g -
    Saturated fat 10.5g -
    Cholesterol 0mg -
    Sodium 15.2mg 2%
    Potassium 150.6mg -
    Carbohydrates 23g -
    Fiber 2g 8%
    Protein 2g
    Vitamins and minerals
    Vitamin A 0.4IU 1%
    Vitamin B6 0mg 3%
    Vitamin B12 0.1μg 5%
    Vitamin E 1.8mg 7%
    Vitamin K 0.7μg 1%
    Caffeine 2.6mg -
    Calcium 40mg 4%
    Iron 1.6mg 21%
    Magnesium 23.7mg 7%
    Phosphorus 56.2mg 6%
    Zinc 0.4mg 3%
    Copper 0.2mg 9%
    Manganese 0.3mg 17%
    Selenium 1.3μg 2%
    Thiamine 0mg 3%
    Riboflavin 0.1mg 4%
    Niacin 0.2mg 1%
    Folate 5.2μg 2%
    Choline 6.5mg 2%
    Water 0.4g -
    Amino acids

^^ Looks like it packs a pretty good punch for just a tiny amount of food.