Calculating nutritional value of ground meat...

Options
I try to weigh and calculate my meat after it is cooked and use this USDA chart to do so. (They also have one for beef and pork.) It states the information is based on 3oz cooked meat. It's great information, but doesn't include ground meat. The label on the package does have a calorie count, but I figure that is for the uncooked. So how do you calculate the information for cooked ground meat? Thanks!
0vydkcsavtfy.jpg

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Look at the fat or lean ratio on the package, then use that when you search for it in MFP (e.g. "91% lean beef")
  • sibeluver03
    sibeluver03 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do, but there are always so many options for the same ratio. I never know which one to pick/trust...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Use the raw information on the label to get the total number of calories in the package. Weigh the total after cooking and portion accordingly. The calories in all of the meat will remain about the same regardless of cooked or uncooked, it's only the weight that will change.

If you don't have raw or cooked info and need to guesstimate, just assume a ~25% loss in weight after cooking as an ad hoc estimate. So, if the package provides calories for 4 oz. raw, then assume those same calories will apply for 3 oz. cooked. It's not perfect but it'll do in a pinch.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Use this link: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

It's the full USDA database. You can put in ground beef, either cooked or raw, and it'll give you all of the various fat proportions (so 85, 90, etc.) and different preparation methods. You can also customize what weight you are working with.

Once you get the item you want, then search in MFP using the item number. That's the most accurate way to go.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that you are talking about ground chicken or ground turkey - the USDA database will be helpful. Pay attention to the packaging of your product because the fat percentage will vary and that will affect which USDA entry to use.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There are USDA listings for both raw and cooked. It should say somewhere on the package if it is 80/20, 85/15, 90/10, etc. if not, compare the protein and fat ratios to known listings.

The packages also often (but not always) will give 2 serving sizes - 1 for raw and an estimate for cooked..usually 4oz(raw)/3oz(cooked).