Kale Crisps

fuzzieme
fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
I'm a sucker for crisps (aka chips). I love them.And I just tried out something I was always skeptical of - baked kale crisps. I thought they were intensely delicious. I do love cabbage too though, these do still taste of cabbage, and the texture is impossibly light and crunchy, so good.

If you wanna try, take a bag of kale, wash and dry well, hold the stock at the end in one hand and with your other hand, clasp your fingers around the stem and pull your fingers up the stem to easily remove the stocks. I discarded the stocks today but in future I'd juice them.

Tear the leaves into big bite size pieces and pop into a bowl with a small drizzle of olive oil - I only used about a tsp. Too much will make it soggy, but the recipe I had called for a tbsp. Sprinkle on your seasoning, I used sea salt, onion powder and smoked paprika. Chili powder, nutritional yeast, onion flakes, garlic, italian herbs, I want to try all of these. Plain salt and black pepper would be good too.

Gently toss it around with your hands, rubbing the leaves with the oil and seasonings until you're confident each piece has a little coating. Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment in a SINGLE layer, and bake at 150 degrees C for 8 minutes, gently turn all the pieces, and if they seem well dried out, turn the oven off and leave them in the oven for about 2 minutes just to ensure they're crisp the whole way though. If they aren't dried out, continue to bake but stay with them, as they can burn easily.

Lovely