Snack suggestions for people with braces?

Options
I am an adult with braces and currently in a phase of my treatment where it is difficult to eat almost anything. Much of my usual snacks are now off the table. No nuts, chips or anything too chewy. Even fruit is hard to eat. I am getting somewhat tired of Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or peanut butter and banana, so I am looking for some creative, easily chewed snack suggestions. And just to compound the problem, I can not have gluten.

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Hey @lporter229 ! I'm in braces too. My second go in 10 years (did not wear the retainer). I snack on frozen blueberries, Halo ice cream, Pringles aren't too hard on the brackets if you can tolerate/want those...

Smoothies? Are your teeth sore from an adjustment? Usually that gets better after a few weeks... Advil? I've been so lucky, I haven't had any soreness (because this is my second go).

Sorry wish I could think of something spectacular for you. I do like the super thick smoothie with blended frozen fruit and even veggies. Green beans really do work if your trying to manage calories.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. Berries mashed up a bit if needed. Oatmeal-there are always creative oatmeal variation threads posted on here. People also vary yogurt in quite a few creative ways so it doesn't taste the same all the time. Avocado. Pudding. Baby food. Roasted veggies. Popsicles & ice cream. Baked potato. Dark chocolate. Smoothies for fruit and veggies you can't chew. Baked apples or pears or peaches.
    I encourage you to stop focusing on the "can't" part of your food list and walk through the grocery store looking for things you "can" eat, especially with a few modifications like a blender, crockpot, or oven. I know you don't want to cook every snack, but you can prep a large batch of baked apples or whatever and they will last for the week, no problem, in the frig.
    Hope that helps.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270...no soreness? Lucky dog you! I have been pretty much miserable from the get go with mine and I have had them for a year. I have an extremely small mouth and there is a bunch of junk in there to try and pull my jaws into alignment, so there is little room for anything else. The insides of my cheeks feel like they are shredded. I seriously keep wondering if one day I am going to wake up to a hole right through the suckers. I have been getting adjustments about every 5 weeks, so it seems right as soon as it starts to ease up, bam, new adjustment. This last one has been particularly painful. Only 15 more months (but whose counting...)

@lorrpb Thanks for the great suggestions! Baby food is a good one. My jaws used to lock up when i was a kid and my mom always gave me baby food. i hadn't thought about that. I also like the baked potato idea. I can bake a bunch on the weekend and eat them with yogurt and siracha as a snack.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I mentioned hard boiled eggs, but actually eggs in any form work great. There recently was a thread on here about different creative ways people make their eggs. They will accept any flavor profile.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I really liked Boost nutrition shakes when I had a Herbst Appliance put in when I was younger.
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for the last 6 months or so and thankfully they are coming off at the beginning of October. I only have them on the top front though, so it may make a difference if you have them on a larger number of teeth, but for me, it's mostly been a matter of just making sure things are cut into really small bites to start with. Definitely challenging though.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I mentioned hard boiled eggs, but actually eggs in any form work great. There recently was a thread on here about different creative ways people make their eggs. They will accept any flavor profile.

I just baked a batch of ham and veggie egg muffins this past weekend and have been munching on those for snacks.