Options
2»

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Why is this an issue? It doesn't sound like you're counting macros so why are you so concerned about the individual components? The label tells you how many calories are in the blend as a whole, regardless of where the calories are coming from.
    Unfortunately, in the US, companies are not required to list the calories for the whole package and generally don't.

But it's not rocket science. US labels tell you how many servings are in a container. With a food labeled as zero calories per serving, worst case there are less than 0.5 calories per serving (otherwise it would be rounded up to 1 calorie per serving). Worst case in that entire container there are 90 calories (181 servings times 0.499999 calories per serving).

Because OP doesn't sound concerned about macros, where the calories are coming from doesn't make a difference and unless he/she is using/consuming half the container on a piece of chicken, the amount of calories provided by the seasoning is negligible.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Why is this an issue? It doesn't sound like you're counting macros so why are you so concerned about the individual components? The label tells you how many calories are in the blend as a whole, regardless of where the calories are coming from.
    Unfortunately, in the US, companies are not required to list the calories for the whole package and generally don't.

But it's not rocket science. US labels tell you how many servings are in a container. With a food labeled as zero calories per serving, worst case there are less than 0.5 calories per serving (otherwise it would be rounded up to 1 calorie per serving). Worst case in that entire container there are 90 calories (181 servings times 0.499999 calories per serving).
    It's pseudo-rounding. Anything below 5 can be listed as zero.

Using your example, 181 servings times 4.99999 would yield 904 calories in the entire container. That might start edging toward significant depending upon your deficit and how much you use.

I don't bother with counting the calories of herbs and spices or even things like dried onions. I do weigh and count things like iceberg lettuce because it's not very inconvenient for me.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

Using your example, 181 servings times 4.99999 would yield 904 calories in the entire container. That might start edging toward significant depending upon your deficit and how much you use.

I don't bother with counting the calories of herbs and spices or even things like dried onions. I do weigh and count things like iceberg lettuce because it's not very inconvenient for me.

Well I'll be damned. That's some generous rounding.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

Well I'll be damned. That's some generous rounding.

Exactly. And if someone is using 1/4 of a container in a recipe, that's quite a bit more calories. Especially if you have a very small deficit.