Day 15 only lost .5 pounds

Options
2»

Replies

• BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My first month 18 months ago I gained 4 pounds while my body adusted, sooo sounds like you're off to a great start
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to measure your portions? If not go get one. It's possible that you are eating more than you think.

Good luck!
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, people eat what they have and can't right away go out and purchase unbudgeted food items. Most people, one way or the other, do their best with what they have. I understand straightforwardness, but compassion has far-reaching affects. I took all the posts yesterday into consideration. Thanks for your time. Support means giving to someone what they might not be giving themselves at the moment, not trying to fix everything that might be wrong in one shot. I have learned as much about humanity as I have about myself in these few weeks. I have learned what giving support means since I have finally found the courage to seek support for my healthy living goals. I hope your continued success gives you all confidence in reaching out to others. I wish you the best.
  • AurraSing23
    Options
    I wish you (everyone here) the best. Most here probably do too. I was recently in a training addressing social media and there had been a study done which showed that people typically receive txt/email/etc with the worst possible meaning...what they were saying was that because the email had no smiling face, supportive tone of voice, etc., that something meant to be constructive could easily be misconstrued.

Just an FYI
  • AurraSing23
    Options
    @Ang108--congratulations on your excellent progress. It looks like you know your stuff! Can I friend you?

@Bootjockey--thanks for your kind words. Eventually I'll have been around long enough and I'll have to quit claiming to be a newbie. :wink:
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi D!

If you aren't doing this, as she suggests (using a food scale), I would recommend that, if you can do it. They can be found very inexpensively at places such as Target or Ocean State Job Lots. I will show a link to the least expensive one I found on Target's site, for a tad over $5:

http://www.target.com/p/taylor-mechanical-food-scale-white/-/A-13560443#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=food+scale

What I recommend is a "tare" scale, which just means that you can put your plate on the scale, and then press a button and the scale changes to "zero", so THEN you can put your food on the plate and measure JUST the food. Say you put the plate on, press the TARE button, the scale goes to zero. Then you put your meat on, and you can see it's 3.4 ounces. Then you can push the TARE button again, it zeros out again, and you can put your rice on and see you put on 4.0 ounces of rice, etc.

Those scales DO cost more, but, if you look in the right place, they aren't bad. I bought mine at Ocean State Job Lots for $9.95, and it works great. If you buy it at Target or someplace like that, you'll pay $30 or more, but you can find them in places like Ocean State Job Lots, Marshalls, and other discount stores. Wal*Mart too.

Here is an example of what a tare scale looks like:

http://www.target.com/p/taylor-stainless-food-scale/-/A-14012995#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=food+scale

They are generally flat, so you can set your own plate or bowl on it, rather than having a plastic "bin" like the one in the first example. Look for the word "tare" on the scale, if you decide to go this route. I find it very helpful myself.

-David / BootJockey
    -257lbs
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Aurra...hahahaha!!! Someday, yep! :-)

I'm an information technology professional myself, and social media is part of what I do (by that, I mean, I'm involved with it from a technology standpoint.) I'm always interested in how it is used and interpreted.

Have a great day!

-David / BootJockey
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the advice on the tare scales. I will find one to purchase.

I have to say, it is frustrating reading some of these threads. I think perhaps I live in a bubble. I always have this expectation that people are kind. Because that is my personal mantra, I mistakenly project it onto this world. I don't shove my opinion on others and when I share it, I do it with gentleness so it can be received whole-heartedly or dismissed without further thought.

I sometimes wish pushy people would "go away", but I was that way at one time. I am grateful for the lessons wisdom has taught. It is also interesting the people who make excuses and explain why aggressive people have the right to continue in their behavior. Rude is rude. Pushy is pushy. Conceit is conceit.