I'm 5'6/180 lb...is losing 60lb too much?

Options
keexity
keexity Posts: 12 Member
edited September 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hey there! I'm not sure when exactly it began, but I would say for the past 4 years I have slowly slumped into my worst fitness level ever. Most of my weight has gone to my mid-section, which gives me the feeling it was stress/alcohol induced.
Anyway, I found another post talking about fasting and how it really worked for this one guy, despite many saying that fasting doesn't last. I have chosen to do fasting because I tend to over eat at every meal, so I'm just cutting out the middle man. After two days of this, I can say that I think this plan really fits my mindset and goals!

I plan to lose 60 lbs, which would bring me down to 120. For my body type/current weight, do you guys think this goal is unrealistic? I HAVE weighed this much in the past, but I was much, much younger (I'm 24 now).

I finally took some before pics, as hard as it was, and decided to share them with this community in order to be 100% transparent in my weight loss efforts.
~no shame in this game~

Replies

• Joshcv86
    Joshcv86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • rae1721
    rae1721 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! I don't know much about fasting but I am doing the Keto lifestyle and many ppl doing it recommend fasting also .....I think when I hit a plateau I will try it.
  • 10UDFG
    10UDFG Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you'll smash it! any favourite cardio activities to focus on?
  • keexity
    keexity Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love to run! Currently running 2 mi 5-6 days a week!
  • ptcampgymokc
    ptcampgymokc Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your decision to engage your concern head on. My hat's off to you. To kind of speak to your original post, 60 pounds is not too much as long as your goal weight is considered a healthy weight for your height ( I do not know how tall you are). I personally came down from 255 lbs at the beginning of the year (February to be exact) to my current weight of 220 for a total of 35 lbs. I made some adjustments to my eating but the main thing for me was cardio. When I started I could not run consistently due to the extra weight because my knees and back would be too sore. So I started walking... more like speed walking in additions to strength training. The reason I tell you this is because you are running 2 miles a day which is more intense than my walking and thus should yield good results for you.
    In terms of fasting, there are benefits, well documented benefits to fasting but I would suggest looking into intermittent fasting. I advocate it a lot because it worked for me. As a matter of fact I am about to go on a cycle of this type of fasting to get the last 10 pounds off.

This is a good article on how to get started.
    https://blog.kettleandfire.com/intermittent-fasting-for-women/

When I do my fasting I try to do a total of 14 hours out of the 24 hours. I confess to trying the 20 hour fast but it was a tad too much for me.
    So in a nutshell you should be sleeping 6 to 8 hours a night. So if you subtract 7 hours (sleep average) from 14 hour fast that leaves you with seven hours to fast.
    So if you hit the sack at 11 PM and sleep 7 hours that gets you to 6 am. which means you can start having your regularly scheduled meals around 1 PM. (Late lunch, Dinner, Evening meal) Going from the most substantial meal to a lightest meal)
    Mind you that during your fast you can have tea, coffee (my addiction) and water to stem the hunger.
    Check it out, it works, it safe and it does not throw a curve into your entire day.

Good Luck!
  • ptcampgymokc
    ptcampgymokc Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    keexity wrote: »
    I love to run! Currently running 2 mi 5-6 days a week!

Before I forget, try incorporating some strength training in with your running. There is no better, and longer lasting fat burning exercise (that I know of) that resistance/strength training. Full body compound moves like squats, dead lifts, military presses, push ups, lunges and things of this nature will help build good lean muscle that will increase your basal metabolic rate and help you burn more calories.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Try intermittent fasting as others have recommended. I always tend to overeat late in the day. I started intermittent fasting on a 16/8 cycle. First meal at 2 pm or later. I have to force myself to reach my calorie goal that way. Sometimes I don't eat until 6 pm. It's working well for me.
  • TehshinaMallick
    Options
    I'm 25 and 184 pounds! I've started now and lost 10 pounds. More motivated than ever. Just keep at 1200 kcal/day and 30-45 mins of cardio and you can do thisss! Goodluck
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Good luck! :) 120lbs sounds like a good target weight, it will take a while, but if you lose too quickly you will end up with saggy skin, so don't rush. Do whatever you enjoy to lose the weigh and find fun excersize to tone up.