Do i HAVE to EAT!?

Options
2»

Replies

• lovelycamacho
    lovelycamacho Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Because of your normal monthly weight variations - waiting to see what happens eventually over time may be too late if very undereating that it would initially sound like.

Don't imagine a body is going to be happy with a 50% deficit, with or without exercise.

Also - do you have a reasonable rate of loss selected for amount to lose?
    Faster isn't always better, rarely gained fast, don't attempt to lose fast.
    If that was case, cut off a leg or arm and be done with the weight loss.
    What are your stats height/weight/age?

So 7 days a week exercise - 30-45 min.

Not totally useful info to help with.

You going into the gym or the sidewalks and doing the social stuff on the phone while slowly walking 2 mph (seen many doing that) merely to move more (which could be good, but not for great calorie burn)?

Or something that is difficult for you (2mph walking for vast majority would quickly become not difficult)?

And what exactly is saying to eat 2200 calories?
    Fitbit, Garmin, other?
    You set a personal eating goal?

What is your daily life activity outside of exercise, job and other 6-8 hrs and weekends?

Mfp says 2200 cal.

Other than work. I cook, clean, chase kids and sleep lol. I walk a lot at work. Im a cna. A lot of lifting and pulling. Im 5"10 so i get the HEAVY patients. Total care. They cant movee, so i roll them... Pick them up, pull them up in bed, transfer them. All that.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would recheck the setting for activity level. With the stats you posted, your BMR is 2028. If you chose moderate activity level that would be 2028*1.55=3143-1000 calories to lose 2 lbs/week or 2143 calories (which is close to what you are seeing). That activity level may be higher than you want it and could be misleading if you are adding on exercise as well. Lightly active will give you 2028*1.37=2778-1000=1778 cals. That sounds like it might be closer to what you are wanting to eat, then you can add on your exercise and not eat back the calories if you like. A thousand calories is way too low for you, so make sure you at least log 1200. Better if you can come up with some wholesome calories to add up to what MFP calculated for you. As you lose weight your number will drop automatically to match your weight. Hope this is helpful. Good luck.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you eat that low on regular basis:
    * you will likely be malnourished
    * overtime you will likely feel the effects of that malnourishment and may binge eat to compensate
    * you may give up thinking the whole diet process is too difficult
    * you may start to lose your hair and have skin problems

If you eat that low for one day not much will happen.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dustin6047 wrote: »
    There's no way 2200 calories a day will make lose weight. Reset your activity level to something reasonable.

how do you know this? I lose on 2200 (female, 5'3", moderately active - I maintain on about 2600avg)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Because of your normal monthly weight variations - waiting to see what happens eventually over time may be too late if very undereating that it would initially sound like.

Don't imagine a body is going to be happy with a 50% deficit, with or without exercise.

Also - do you have a reasonable rate of loss selected for amount to lose?
    Faster isn't always better, rarely gained fast, don't attempt to lose fast.
    If that was case, cut off a leg or arm and be done with the weight loss.
    What are your stats height/weight/age?

So 7 days a week exercise - 30-45 min.

Not totally useful info to help with.

You going into the gym or the sidewalks and doing the social stuff on the phone while slowly walking 2 mph (seen many doing that) merely to move more (which could be good, but not for great calorie burn)?

Or something that is difficult for you (2mph walking for vast majority would quickly become not difficult)?

And what exactly is saying to eat 2200 calories?
    Fitbit, Garmin, other?
    You set a personal eating goal?

What is your daily life activity outside of exercise, job and other 6-8 hrs and weekends?

Mfp says 2200 cal.

Other than work. I cook, clean, chase kids and sleep lol. I walk a lot at work. Im a cna. A lot of lifting and pulling. Im 5"10 so i get the HEAVY patients. Total care. They cant movee, so i roll them... Pick them up, pull them up in bed, transfer them. All that.

So someone else did the math correctly - and that likely is correct Activity Level of Moderately Active I'd suggest for that much daily activity - nurse and kids.

The food logging is probably the issue.

And you should be able to support that 1000 deficit for now - but the workouts count too as extra burn.

Life lesson regarding weight control MFP is trying to help with.
    You do more, eat more.
    You do less, eat less (that's the gotcha for most as they age).

In a diet a tad less in either case.

You likely are eating more than you think - to your benefit - but probably not enough to not negatively effect yourself eventually. You need to log better and eat closer to sustainable level to keep successful.

Many good ideas given. You've probably lucked out for now because you have a decent amount to lose. That won't always be the case - and even now not good idea.

So besides the 2200 goal on days you don't exercise - oh wait, there aren't any.
    So you should always be eating more.

But what are your 7 x 30-45 = 263 weekly minutes of exercise?

Strength training, aerobics classes, martial arts, swimming, walk the dog, ect?

If walking for instance, daily goal likely closer to 2400, so not much more.
    But if pretty intense calorie burning, could be more.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    are you over weight? If so how did you end up there if you just cant possibly eat close to or more than 2200?

eating below 1200 calories a day will leave you malnourished.

Stop filling up on low calorie volume foods until you need it. With 2200 calories you can still enjoy a burger and lose weight at an appropriate rate.

you will reget getting so low so early into your weight loss. You will lament all the wonderful foods you could have had and enjoyed.

I for one am on 1650 cals and losing 1 lb a week and tonight I'm having steak and potatoes Wednesdays are so exciting!

EAT MORE
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Woohoo great to hear you took on board what was written and everything is going well.

Cheers, h.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great change and results. Workouts probably feel stronger too.
    Your body probably got unstressed and is losing water weight at first.

Just recommend don't keep that rate of loss when you have less to lose - no matter how good it feels.

Because with your workouts - it won't be fat only once you get below probably 30-40 lbs left.

If you can't eat more - then do less.
    Make the workouts less frequent but stronger and harder - that'll transform the body more anyway.