A:

OHP
Chin-Up
Squat

B:

Chest Press
Row
Deadlift

Repeat. ABA BAB. Instead of repeating a workout twice a week I was wondering if it would be okay to make the third day an accessory day? Something like this:

Seated Cable Row
DB Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Lat Pulldowns
Lateral Raises
Triceps Pressdowns
DB Curls
Leg Curl
Hamstring Extensions
Calf Raises
Abs

Replies

• EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    What is the reason for your current split?

I agree with poster above. Very little in your program at the minute...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Why not browse this thread and choose a 3 day programme that is proven. You will get a more balanced routine that way.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • dill_milk
    dill_milk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why not browse this thread and choose a 3 day programme that is proven. You will get a more balanced routine that way.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.

Thanks for the list, but my program IS on that list. It's Greyskull. Pretty similar to StrongLifts. Just wondering if I could change the third day to an accessory day for fun.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    dill_milk wrote: »

Cheers, h.

Thanks for the list, but my program IS on that list. It's Greyskull. Pretty similar to StrongLifts. Just wondering if I could change the third day to an accessory day for fun.

Oops, sorry about that. It has been a while since I read through all the programmes.

As a recreational lifter I'm not a purist when it comes to following a programme to the letter, so I would probably try it and see what happens.
    I would throw accessories on the end of my routine rather than giving up a day though. I would also, if I was going to do an accessory day, make it the 2nd day of a 3x week programme so my compounds are more evenly spaced.

Just try and keep things balanced.

Cheers, h.
    (Just thoughts on how I might approach things)
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Your accessory day looks a bit long to me. I don't know why it contains lat pulldowns when you are already doing pull ups.

I do like it the idea of 2 full bodies with calf, arm, neck and grip work sandwiched between them.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I like to know why you think having a accessory day would be better than the written program.

Accessories are a thing to do after a main lift not to replace them.

Chin ups and rows are two of the better accessories out there and they are in the original program.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You know what would be even better than adding an accessory day? Following a program. You have two programmed leg moves, which is completely inadequate. You'd have to do a full body accessory day to come close to adequate for anything.

Looks like SL 5x5 to me with the addition of a chin up. Many programs suggest adding accessory lifts. Go for it, OP!
  • dill_milk
    dill_milk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I appreciate the constructive feedback instead of snarky, uninformed responses like the first one I received. Probably just having a bad day, I forgive her.

I don't think the accessory day would necessarily be better than doing another compound day, but it would be fun and add variety as well as volume. I could just add them to the end of compound days, but I usually put all my energy into the compounds and feel tired and sore after. Plus then I'm still just alternating two days instead of doing three different days.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Just follow the program until you’ve built a solid strength base on those lifts.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Also, read the Greyskull book- they have "add-ins" that allow you to customize your workout by adding in accessory lifts. I run a variant for my goals, and I enjoy it.

Reddit also has some resources: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/5w483n/greyskull_lp_variants/

Also the forums are mostly dead, but there is a lot of good information with a lot of the most common questions answered: http://strengthvillain.com/forum/index.php

Greyskull LP is supposed to be quite flexible to customize beyond the base program you are running. One of the reasons I really like it. Good luck!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You know what would be even better than adding an accessory day? Following a program. You have two programmed leg moves, which is completely inadequate. You'd have to do a full body accessory day to come close to adequate for anything.

Looks like SL 5x5 to me with the addition of a chin up. Many programs suggest adding accessory lifts. Go for it, OP!

I read it as the OP was dropping to doing it once per week. Reading again I understand, but my statement on inadequacies still stands as the criticism I have of the 5x5 type programs. Adding in accessory work becomes necessary for pretty much everyone.