What kickstarted your weightloss?

Options
13»

Replies

• asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Growing up, there was a long period of time where I only had online friends, went to online school, and was always home alone during the day. Needless to say, most of my time consisted of playing video games and eating whatever I felt like. I turned 17, still went to online school and had only online friends, but started to become more independent. I started working at Papa Johns for about two weeks before I quit. The job sucked but I started eating less, mainly since I would feel sick to my stomach before a shift. A little while after that I got my drivers license and my current job, which I absolutely love. The new independence made me feel empowered and when I found out about CICO I decided to start losing weight.

I finally had money in the bank to buy all the healthier foods I wanted to have, could work out if I wanted to, and started spending less of my time alone in my room and more time at work, dating once I turned 18, and just not being bored in my room. I'm a lot happier now and a little under a year later, I'm definitely seeing results!
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    First thing I did was go to my doctor! I've had asthma for a number of years, but the last year or so it was completely out of control. I gained weight, started having knee pain when I did walk, which wasn't far because I started wheezing within about 1/2 a block. And yet, I didn't realize how bad it was until all of my siblings met to spread my mother's ashes and I really couldn't keep up. I was diagnosed with diabetes at this visit in March, as well. That last 30 lbs did a number on me. Once my asthma was under better control, I started walking more. I tracked my food on the fitbit app. MFP is much better as far as inputting recipes, so I switched. I've always eaten well, not much junk, whole grains, fruit and veg, etc. Just too much. So increased activity, then started measuring my food. Once I had a good handle on what I was eating, I started tweeking it. I added another serving of fruit and/or veg to every meal, which I put on my plate 1st. (A great tip I read somewhere. Veg first, then protein, then carb.) I've always been fat, but I've also always been active, until recently. I've lost 25 lbs in 6 months, but it's really not about losing weight for me, that's just an enjoyable side effect. My asthma is better, my knees are better, my BS is better.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I'm back after a bit of a break from MFP and I'm ready to start making changes.

So my question for you today is, what was the first thing you changed when you decided it was time to lose weight? Did you walk more? Did you cut a type of food out? What was it?

Let me know!!
    Xx Dayna

There've been 2 distinct times for me. The first was 1/1/2000 when an epiphany occurred to me and I decided to act as if I had the genetic tools to live to 100, because I do. The second was 1/25 or so/2016 when my Dr presented the results of a recent lipid panel to me and offered me a choice: Exercise and lose weight OR take statin drugs.

I H.A.T.E. drugs.

My hatred of drugs inspired me to choose to exercise and lose weight. That same day I googled for "food diary" and found myfitnesspal. I joined and the first thing I did was start using the food diary to record my food. For a week, I made no food changes, but I recorded everything. Recording everything and weighing every morning showed me that I could do this. Noting that losses followed days of low calories and gains followed days of high calories made me a quick student in the ways of CICO.
  • Blue_eyes_jojo
    Blue_eyes_jojo Posts: 57 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    When I cudnt fit in my clothes nothing ever felt comfortable anymore,bras weren't fit properly (only ladies would understand)I've lost 1 stone 5 got a few more pounds to go,but it's the best thing I've done,feeling the best I've done in along time
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    This may not sound encouraging but I have never had much success with doing little things that make a difference. I only have success when I am firing on all cylinders...eating at deficit(or maintenance), weight training and doing cardio. With that goes carefully monitoring my weight and logging and keeping a journal.
    As soon as I stop doing any of the things mentioned above, I tend to fall off the wagon and my progress regresses.

So for me...I commit to a full program. Good luck

Same here, which I've only recently fully embraced, since part of my programme includes starting at 6 AM, which means earlier to bed. But yes, with that final piece in place, it all works together. Otherwise it feels temporary.
  • nicolega2001
    nicolega2001 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I always envied people who could make a few small changes and see results. I have to dive right in and make big changes in my behavior in order to see a change on the scale.
  • Jpoirier17
    Jpoirier17 Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    After seeing my doctor for an annual my blood test were really bad, high cholesterol, back problem, chronic heartburn, high pressure. Started in July to eat only unprocessed food on a 30% carb 30% fat 40% proteins and go for weight training in the morning before work and for a run at lunch with one day rest a week.

90 Days later 45 pounds lighter went back to the doctor and i am in perfect health.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    For me it was finding an exercise I enjoyed. I have to exercise to keep myself in check with my food (goes hand in hand for me). Once I found cycle classes I enjoy and running, it has made it easier for me to keep a handle on the calories I eat (while getting to eat back half to all of my exercise calories).
  • MizMareedy
    MizMareedy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The first thing I changed was eliminating the 3+ (sometimes 4) 30oz Yeti mugs full of iced coffee (full on flavored creamer) per day - and I replaced two of them with water. Then I started to use this app and count calories. =)
  • kerrylkatriviera
    kerrylkatriviera Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had always been relatively fit and trim, but I had a long illness that left me in bed for long periods of time, and I ate a lot of take-out food like pizzas, subs and Chinese. I got better and decided to celebrate my health by getting fit again and losing the weight and cooking from scratch again. I have lost almost 50 pounds!
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The day after I turned 44, last November, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I immediately went to the person who would become my best friend, a co worker who runs marathons and Spartan races, and asked him to help me learn to exercise. Even though he is super fit and 16 years younger than I am, he jumped right in and today we are work out buddies who also go to races together once a month. Thanks to him being willing to be my personal coach, I learned how to exercise so that I get maximum benefit (and since we work out together, maximum fun!). My A1C has dropped to nearly normal levels and my doctor says I have reversed my type 2. I literally owe my friend years of my life, I feel. Now, if only my husband would come work out with us to manage his weight and diabetes......
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Divorce
    /drops mic
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Had gall bladder attacks. Lost 40 lbs. easiest diet ever, but I sure don't recommend it. When I got past the pain, I felt so much better and could move so much easier with that 40 pounds gone, I decided to carry it further. Started exercising because I could. Later started counting calories.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I happened upon a BBC show called Fat Families. It was a wake up call about where I was headed, and was very inspiring seeing these people turn themselves around and taking on their obstacles and setbacks head on.