lose 200lbs in less then a year ?

Options

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Good luck! That can be a tough workout. Thumbs up to more movement :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    bjcrewe wrote: »
    I just bot a elliptical machine wish me luck

That’s awesome! I love mine!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Do you enjoy ellipticals? I can’t get along with them; I just feel like the posture they require me to be in is all wrong, somehow.
  • bjcrewe
    bjcrewe Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Good luck!

Do you enjoy ellipticals? I can’t get along with them; I just feel like the posture they require me to be in is all wrong, somehow.

Yet to be desided

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    So glad to see you're still here BJ. The elliptical should give you a good overall work out. The 5k foam run sounds like fun. You are amazing, keep up the great work.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    As I don't know your height, I'm going to guess average. In which case an ideal body weight for you would be around 180lbs. That's a 300lb difference from your current weight. Losing 200lbs would be approximately 66% of your excess body fat.

So yes, it is possible as after a 200lb loss, you would still have about 100lbs of excess body fat. Losing a large amount of weight vs time, is about percentage of excess fat more than actual amount of fat.

For me, (I have about 20lbs of excess) 10% excess body fat reduction for 1 week is currently about 2lbs, which is very difficult, but doable. For someone with with 300lbs of excess, a 10% reduction would be 30lbs. Now as you lose fat, the percentage of fat loss will remain the same with the same amount of effort (caloric deficit vs BRM), but the amount (weight) of fat loss will decrease. So don't get frustrated because your weight loss slows down.

You can do it!
  • VUA21
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »
    As I don't know your height, I'm going to guess average. In which case an ideal body weight for you would be around 180lbs. That's a 300lb difference from your current weight. Losing 200lbs would be approximately 66% of your excess body fat.

So yes, it is possible as after a 200lb loss, you would still have about 100lbs of excess body fat. Losing a large amount of weight vs time, is about percentage of excess fat more than actual amount of fat.

For me, (I have about 20lbs of excess) 10% excess body fat reduction for 1 week is currently about 2lbs, which is very difficult, but doable. For someone with with 300lbs of excess, a 10% reduction would be 30lbs. Now as you lose fat, the percentage of fat loss will remain the same with the same amount of effort (caloric deficit vs BRM), but the amount (weight) of fat loss will decrease. So don't get frustrated because your weight loss slows down.

You can do it!

I am confused by this. It almost sounds like you are advocating losing 10 percent of your body fat a week which is ill-advised for you and impossible at higher weights. I thought the general rule of thumb is 1 percent of your body weight per week which doesn't even safely scale all the way down to your final pounds.

Sorry for any confusion, reread what I wrote. I was using "excess" body fat, not total weight. 1% of my body weight is 1.8lbs. 10% of my EXCESS fat is approximately 2lbs. The reason I use EXCESS and not total body weight is because I have a best friend who has anorexia and swears by the 1% of body weight rule, even though she doesn't have excess fat (5'8" and 89lbs), I don't want anyone with an eating disorder to think that 1% of body weight is acceptable when they are severely underweight.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Sorry for any confusion, reread what I wrote. I was using "excess" body fat, not total weight. 1% of my body weight is 1.8lbs. 10% of my EXCESS fat is approximately 2lbs. The reason I use EXCESS and not total body weight is because I have a best friend who has anorexia and swears by the 1% of body weight rule, even though she doesn't have excess fat (5'8" and 89lbs), I don't want anyone with an eating disorder to think that 1% of body weight is acceptable when they are severely underweight.

I guess I am dense today. I still don't follow since you yourself are only supposed to be losing about .5lb per week for a healthy and safe rate. At 480 lbs and 300 lbs of fat it makes less sense to me. I doubt it is safe to lose close to 5 lbs per week but it is impossible to lose 30lbs in a short amount of time outside of initial water weight.

I hope your best friend gets help because it doesn't sound like she is currently in a place to hear any rational logic.
  • Bann554
    Bann554 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bjcrewe. I hope you're doing well. Also, another exercise is chair yoga. Try YogaJP on YouTube.
    It's free and easy. Yoga will help with balance, stamina and strength.
  • VUA21
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I guess I am dense today. I still don't follow since you yourself are only supposed to be losing about .5lb per week for a healthy and safe rate. At 480 lbs and 300 lbs of fat it makes less sense to me. I doubt it is safe to lose close to 5 lbs per week but it is impossible to lose 30lbs in a short amount of time outside of initial water weight.

I hope your best friend gets help because it doesn't sound like she is currently in a place to hear any rational logic.

@NovusDies
    No problem, everyone misreads things on occasion, no biggie.

I also said, that for me to lose 2lbs was doable, but very difficult. I have to be pretty much perfect in nutrition, calories, and exercise - and I'm not, nor do I want to be - eliminating all "junk" leaves me miserable, I just eat it in moderation When morbidly obese people lose weight (I was one of the), extremely large amounts of weight in very short times (usually under medical guidance due to obesity related health problems) is not uncommon, especially for the first few month. When I was well over 350lbs, I lost 50lbs in the first 2 months. Now, it has taken me almost 2 months to lose 5lbs.

Also, how did you come up with the .5 as a safe rate? Just wondering.

Thanks, yeah it's a daily struggle with my friend.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hopefully no news isn't bad news, @bjcrewe.

Did we lose you, @bjcrewe?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It is about 10 months from the original post - I'm curious too how much you are down??
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    @bjcrewe Hope you're doing okay!

I saw this story today and thought of you. Perhaps you might benefit from getting in touch with Felix? He'll understand a lot of what you're going through.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    coming up on a year from the first post - would be great to get an update!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Pinging @bjcrewe

You doing okay?