Lost motivation

Options
I started my weight loss journey with me at my highest weight of 267lbs I went down to 200lbs and now I’m back up to 217 although I’m nowhere near where I was I feel like I weigh more now than ever before. I’m depressed and don’t even look in the mirror anymore I don’t know what to do

Replies

• chris5602
    chris5602 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't go back, you've done so well and come so far. Pick yourself up and keep going, it's worth it. I don't know much about depression but maybe try to get some help, someone you can talk to that can provide you with strategies to bring yourself out.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You have done sooo well so far!! Life is not all joy and happiness, so you are bound to feel bad sometimes. Work out why you put the weight back on and then you will know how to stop it happening again. Then remember why you want to lose the weight and focus on that. Do you have an outfit from when you were thinner that you want to get in to, or is there a dress size you want to be? What ever your motivation is, concentrate on that. Each day, look into the mirror and tell yourself that you can do it, ie: This time next year I WILL be 20lbs lighter, or whatever your goal is.
    Positive reinforcement does work if you stick at it.
  • debsydoo556
    debsydoo556 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don’t try and battle depression on your own ..confide in friends and family how you’re feeling. We all have dark days so don’t beat yourself up. It can be a vicious cycle ..dig deep and push past those feelings. Message me anytime if you need to chat
  • mizquinones
    mizquinones Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just pick yourself back up. Feel what you need to feel, talk to someone near and dear to you to vent and get back on track. You did it before, you can do it again. And you are my inspiration. I weigh 250 and am trying to lose weight. What I've discovered is that there is no such thing as a diet only life changes. Try to move forward and keep on pushing yourself. You can do it!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you have clinical depression, get treatment. If you are down because you've gained, start again.

As I read your post, you're down 50lbs. Congrats on the loss. Start like its day #1. Calculate a modest calorie deficit, weigh and measure what you eat and drink, relentlessly track your intake and allow for the time it will take the process to work. Think about how you will deal with discouragement.

Tracking- track everything. Good, bad and ugly. Everyone happily tracks their good days. People who want weight loss track everyday. Knowing what happened on the bad days is important information. As the say in my yoga class, not to judge but to learn.

Time- Schedule a weekly consistent weigh in. This is the data to monitor your progress. Try to establish a downward trend over time. Read this board much and you will find that many people are wrecked by their own brains over the time issue. It will take about 2 months to establish a trend. You don't need to lose every week to have a downward trend. As you've seen for yourself, humans don't work on straight lines. Ever hear the adage "Life has its ups and downs?" People want to forget that in weight loss. In the end it doesn't much matter how long losing takes so long as you lose in a way to keep the weight off.

Discouragement- If I could I'd change the name of this board to something like Support & Determination. Motivation is too fleeting to support long term success. You need good habits and good planning. A plan you won't stick with is not a good plan. If you stumble, you need either a better plan or better concentration. We all have lapses. Never quit. When you hear that voice in your head that you're not losing fast enough, push back. Recognize when it's working. Perfection is the enemy of the good.

Weight loss is liberating. We only get one life. You deserve the life you want to the extent it's within your control. But you have to go and get it. Good luck.