Do you keep snacks in your car?

Options
I keep a bag of sweets. I usually have one when driving 1 hour or say. It keeps me awake.

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    I don't, but my mother-in-law does. She says it keeps her awake too.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat snacks. I eat my three meals a day. If I have a lot of calories left at the end of the day, I will have a fourth meal. If I snack, I eat too much, and they are not necessary unless one has specific issues that require them.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I carry a snack in my bag at all times.

Every once in a while my blood sugar will crash (or spike)* and I need a bit of something to get me to where I'm going. Or, sometimes traffic is really bad and if I get stuck for too long and get too hungry, my sugar gets wonky.

*yes, I've had it checked. Docs all say I'm "fine". I say getting the shakes, sweats, nervousness and lightheaded is not "fine. This doesn't happen as much now that I'm lower carb, but I still carry a snack
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Do you keep snacks in your car?

No!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,431 Member
    Options
    I keep a protein bar, a rice cake & powdered peanut butter at all times in case I stay away too long I don't want to be starving or light headed by the time i get home
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    No. I can't imagine anything keeping very well in a car, given the temperature extremes. Even things that wouldn't actually go bad would suffer texture degradation (I'm picturing sweets melting together into one big glob.)

I do sometimes take a drink with me (usually black coffee or iced black coffee, occasionally a caffeinated diet soda). That helps keep me awake for practically no calories, and less distraction than trying to pull a candy out of a bag and unwrap it.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I only take snacks in the car on long drives. I'd not leave them in there though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No.
    They would get gross left in the car.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    ahmshaki wrote: »
    I keep a bag of sweets. I usually have one when driving 1 hour or say. It keeps me awake.

I usually keep a protein bar with me because when I work out too hard I get shaky and need to like instantly eat.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I keep emergency beef jerky in my car in case I get called into work at 2am of some other stupid time.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of blueberry hemp granola in my purse, and smarties candy in my glucose testing kit, for low sugar situations. When I know I might not get to a regular meal I carry a small orange. It's nice to be able to take a spontaneous walk in the park or something even though my sugar is low, just eat a handful of granola first.
  • darlibby
    darlibby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to keep chips in the trunk of my car to keep myself from eating too many at home. It worked but I don't do it anymore.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I keep a protein bar in my bag for just in case I'm out longer than expected.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't have a car, I don't snack, and sweets make me tired :/
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No. Eating while driving is dangerous.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    In some places you can be fined for eating while driving ...

https://604now.com/fined-driving-eating-british-columbia/
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I keep jerky, salami sticks and crisps in my car.

I quite often don't get time to eat during the day so it saves me buying take out lunches.

And I keep cup a soup sachets in my hand bag.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Hell no. My commute to work is an hour each way. I keep a bottle of water and even that gets yucky in the summer time, or frozen in the winter. I am not a snacker anyway.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Yes because i have hypoglycaemia attacks ( 1.1 on a very fun day )
    I have cereal bars i keep in the glove compartment if i feel it coming on when driving ( i pull over before eating )
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I typically carry a piece of fruit with me to eat on my way home from work just to tide me over until dinner but I don't keep food in the car. If I don't have fruit I drink water.