I will never like brown rice or pasta

Options
Has anyone tried to eat brown rice or pasta because you know it is better for you but failed? I honestly cannot, brown bread I'm fine but my pasta and rice, never! I have switched to a sweet potato instead of white but I think that's about as far as I can go with my carbs...does it really make a difference?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Why is brown rice or pasta better for you??
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Simple answer/solution, if you don't like something don't eat it. A carb is a carb, brown, white, whatever. If you need extra fibre there are other ways of adding it...
  • Bealey2011
    Bealey2011 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Why is brown rice or pasta better for you??
    From reading I believe it is because it's a "complex" carb therefore you're fuller for longer and less of an insulin spike (I'm not a dietician so don't know if it's true or accurate)

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eh. The health benefits are mostly hype and not worth the decreased flavor to me. If I want to cut calories I'll eat cauliflower rice, spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles but they aren't a great substitute for the real thing either. When I want actual rice or pasta I'll have the white rice and pasta or a mixed wheat on the pasta.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I mix a bit if salsa in with my brown rice, tastes like Spanish rice..... well poor man's Spanish rice I guess but yummy none the less.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Arrrrrrrrfgggggghhhhhhhhhg, insulin.
  • Bealey2011
    Options
    Thanks guys, your answers are appreciated :smile:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What...what...about the wild rice industry?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I eat brown rice because I prefer the nutty taste. If I didn't I'd definitely stick to white rice because the health benefits between the 2 are minimal. Wholemeal pasta would take some getting used to. Don't eat foods that you don't enjoy just because you believe them to be healthier. This isn't sustainable and the foods you eat now to lose weight are the ones you want to stick with for life to maintain.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice but hate brow (whole wheat) pasta. So I eat brown rice and don't eat brown pasta. I switched to Fiber Gourmet pasta because it's only 1/2 the calories of regular pasta, is not brown or grainy but is high in fiber.

The difference in fiber between brown rice and white, whole wheat pasta and white, is not enough to warrant eating something you don't enjoy IMO.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the difference between brown and white pasta is minimal and the benefits of the whole grain in that case often overstated. I like whole wheat pasta with the right sauce (usually spicy) and eat it sometimes, and I like brown rice as much as any rice (not that much, so I don't eat rice often), but the nutrient value of a meal involving them has way more to do with what you eat with them (vegetables, protein?) than brown vs. white.

Sweet potatoes are not healthier than potatoes and I wouldn't switch from one to the other. I think both are healthy and delicious, so I'd eat both (and both offer more if you eat them with the skin on, although again if you aren't going to enjoy that it's not the end of the world if you don't).

Although sweet potatoes and potatoes are both tubers, they are different plants. I realize that may be obvious, but I sometimes get the idea that people think sweet potatoes are some healthier kind of potatoes when, despite the name, they aren't really potatoes (although there are many different types of potatoes, of course). Excuse my pedantry if you did not suffer from that confusion.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are pastas out now with added fiber and they look and cook just like regular pasta.
  • Bealey2011
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    As others have said, the difference between brown and white pasta is minimal and the benefits of the whole grain in that case often overstated. I like whole wheat pasta with the right sauce (usually spicy) and eat it sometimes, and I like brown rice as much as any rice (not that much, so I don't eat rice often), but the nutrient value of a meal involving them has way more to do with what you eat with them (vegetables, protein?) than brown vs. white.

Sweet potatoes are not healthier than potatoes and I wouldn't switch from one to the other. I think both are healthy and delicious, so I'd eat both (and both offer more if you eat them with the skin on, although again if you aren't going to enjoy that it's not the end of the world if you don't).

Although sweet potatoes and potatoes are both tubers, they are different plants. I realize that may be obvious, but I sometimes get the idea that people think sweet potatoes are some healthier kind of potatoes when, despite the name, they aren't really potatoes (although there are many different types of potatoes, of course). Excuse my pedantry if you did not suffer from that confusion.

I literally thought this! Whenever you see healthier cooking it's switch to sweet potato and brown rice ect....that's why I was bummed as I love my white pasta and rice hahaha.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    My mom used to push "brown" stuff on us. What a nightmare. And she and I are both fat anyway (actually I was pretty hefty. She still is). So a lot of good that did.

I hate brown rice and pasta and will not eat them. I don't care for white rice so I don't eat it. I like white pasta, but I can't be bothered with it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't like brown rice as well so I don't eat it often.
    I do eat whole grain pasta sometimes and it is fine. I eat other kinds of pasta too.
    I cook with white flour all the time.
    I prefer whole wheat sandwich bread over white but also enjoy pumpernickel, sourdough and other breads.
    I eat both white and sweet potatoes. They are both nutritious.

Do you have a medical condition that requires you to avoid certain foods? If not then just eat what you like. Adjust the quantities for your goals.
    Weight loss is about having a calorie deficit not type of food.
    If you want more fiber or lower carbs eat more protein and more vegetables maybe. Try adding quinoa, lentils, beans to your diet. Pile your plate with more vegetables. Try roasted or grilled vegetables.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Agree... Brown rice is yuck!
    Also- I'm indian, so using brown rice (as a substitute for long-grain, white Basmati) is just Wrong!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Bealey2011 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to eat brown rice or pasta because you know it is better for you but failed? I honestly cannot, brown bread I'm fine but my pasta and rice, never! I have switched to a sweet potato instead of white but I think that's about as far as I can go with my carbs...does it really make a difference?

Not all it's cracked up to be. Just eat a varied diet and enjoy your white rice and regular pasta...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I agree with the brown vs. white rice thing but will say that I love the nutty taste and chewier texture of brown rice in salads (toss rice with grape tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, feta cheese, olives, red onion, italian dressing, and a little bit of dill). This also works well with farro.

Outside of that, brown rice = yuck. Whole wheat pasta isn't even worth consideration.